Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recently repaired 6400 is having problems with power and disconnects

In July 2024 I got my 6400 serviced by Flex for a couple of issues wich resulted on a new LPF board and a new PA100 board too. Once received, everything was working fine for a couple of weeks, until recently the radio is behaving weird:

• The radio is disconnecting from SmartSDR due to low voltage when in TX (meters shows it drops down to 11 volts during tx from 13.6 during rx).
  • After this happens radio disconnects from SmartSDR and have to reboot the radio
  • On 6m radio does not get to 100w (I'm afraid it was the reason we had to change the PA100 in the first place. new one on the horizon???)
  • TGXL works fine connected to the same power supply
  • Power Supply is an Astron SS-30M
  • Tried with a Samlex 1235 with the same behaviour
  • Checked both power supplies and they are working fine

Running latest SmartSDR software.

Any idea on what this could be before I open a ticket and inquiry on the previous service.

73, Santiago

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

Personally speaking, and others may disagree but this is what I find with my 6400, 13.6 V on RX is not enough to maintain normal operation of the radio on TX. I now have 14.3V on RX.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Santiago, I agree with Erik. If you can move your voltage up, it will help.

What size wire are you using and how long is it? A 2.6 V drop is a LOT. This can be caused by too small and/or too long of a power cable. It can also be dirty or loose connectors, including the fuse.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Santiago,

Here is some detailed info on voltage setup, cable size, and troubleshooting on my web page.

Link:

Al / NN4ZZ

• Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'm using the original cable that came with the radio. Nonetheless, I will re check cables and will into upping the power supply voltage.

73, Santiago

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

check at the back of the radio with a voltmeter with probes into the Power Poles. Use FRStack, Node Red, or other utility to measure the internal voltage of the radio. Do this on receive and transmit.

Over time the Power Poles develop slight corrosion and can cause resistance to have a significant voltage drop.

73 Dave wo2x

• Following on this matter. Astron is giving 14.3 on RX and 13.6 on TX at the PS and at the 6400, Next step is to check internal fuse and change power cable (in the process of ordering a new one from Flex). Hopefully this solve the issue and wont require another trip to Texas for the radio.

73, Santiago

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Before you take the radio apart, load FRStack, put the radio into 100% tune and see what voltage is returned while in TX.

On mine, I was getting a 2V drop. When I added some Deoxit (or similar) to the power poles, the voltage drop was 0.1V.

• Thanks Mike. I did that, and voltage while tx drops down to 10v on FRstack and SDR Monitor, while the Astron PS reads 14.3 thw whole time. Nonetheless, I prepared a new power cable with new powerpoles to check it out before opening the radio.

Santiago

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Don't forget the Dexoit or something similar. Your voltage drop is likely due to some corrosion on the PP connectors. It only takes about 0.5 ohms of resistance to make a big difference in the supply voltage into the radio.

We have seen this before and it has always been corrosion on the power poles. Even if you change the cable, that is only 1/2 the connection, so keep that in mind.

• excellent point. Thanks Mike.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Other items to check are: Using the minimum length of power cable, minimize the ohmic loss at the connection to the power supply, using ring connectors if possible, rather than power poles, confirm the power supply has adequate capacity for the radio (25 amp minimum).

• Good morning. Went to the remote site yesterday and checked up on the 6400 issue. Still same results, with new shortest cable possible. Checked and cleaned power poles, checked different power supplies. I guess only thing left to do is open up the radio (which I'm reluctant to do) to see the fuse. Left my backup rig (Yaesu 991) working for the moment and brought the Flex home because I didn't want to open it on the remote site.

73, Santiago

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.