Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

8x00 API

John G3WGV
John G3WGV Member ✭✭

I've not seen any comments yet on the SmartSDR API for the new 8 series radios. Can we assume that the API will retain backwards compatibility, so code using the API for 6x00 radios will work the same on 8x00 radios?

Are there any new/updated API commands or data classes? Any changes to meter scaling/manifest? Are there plans to update the Wiki?

I'm almost certain to get a 8600 when it becomes available in the UK and I'd like to think that my homebrew controller will work without too much of a fight!

Comments

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

That is an interesting question. Maybe when 3.8.x comes out there will some indication in the API for new commands for the 8000 radios in it. 3.8.x is supposed to be the version of SmartSDR that will first be available for both the 6000 and 8000 radios at the release of the new radios.

I don't necessarily think there will be any noticeable differences until features exclusive to the 8000 radios appear. The real changes will be in the firmware itself. And code that identifies the radio that an external application can connect to and use. ( SmartSDR or your own application) otherwise, I didn't think there will be anything other than having to re-link to the new API and rebuild your application.

James

WD5GWY

• John G3WGV
    John G3WGV Member ✭✭

Thanks James, that is my general feeling too.

I don't use the FlexLib middleware, my homebrew controller talks directly to the radio's SmartSDR TCP/UDP API. So I am potentially more exposed to any changes as they can't be hidden in the middleware. In fairness I don't think the development guys pull stunts like that with FlexLib.

OK on 3.8.x being the first 8x00 version of SmartSDR. The fact that it's 3.8.x and not 4.x is perhaps a good sign that the API will evolve incrementally from the 6x00 specification.

John, G3WGV

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Generally, the 8000 API will be the same as the 6000 series. This is to ensure SmartSDR compatibility.

Any new features that require new commands will be easy to see if you are a developer and using WireShark as they are all in plain text on the TCP stream on port 4992.

More will be available after the radio is shipping.

• John G3WGV
    John G3WGV Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike. It'll be interesting to see how the 8x00 develops with all that additional processing power. Hopefully not just bells and whistles for FT8!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.