Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WNB on radios built after March 2023 and 8000 series

I have seen a few posts regarding the WNB on the 6000 series radios built after March 2023 saying that the WNB doesn't work. Is it just not as affective or does it not work at all?

I have an older 6700 and the WNB works great. In fact, without the WNB at my location my "buzzing" power line noise would make operation almost impossible on most days. I have put down a deposit for a 8600M as my 6700 is getting long in the tooth. I know no one can answer this since the 8000 series is not out yet, but I am getting concerned that the 8000 series will have the same WNB issue as the newer 6000 series radios. If so, my new 8600M would basically be a $5000 paperweight at my QTH. I am hoping the flex has figured out the issue and the new software will address.

Just speculation on my part as the 8000 has different hardware.

K4QXX

Burch

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The WNB issue on newer 6000 radios will be addressed in upcoming software release.

I would guess the 8000 series will include this fix. Again, my guess.

Dave wo2x

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

As usual, Flex can’t fix something without breaking something else.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

We won't know that till the next release.

For me, the last few releases have been fine and fixed problems I have had.

James

WD5GWY

• Rick_KJ5WO
    Rick_KJ5WO Member ✭✭

• Rick_KJ5WO
    Rick_KJ5WO Member ✭✭

I hope this will be addressed. The WNB on my 6600 does absolutely nothing. My typical noise level is about S-7 living in town. My Timewave helps, but one could only hope.

Rick…KJ5WO

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

A few things on the WNB.

There is a bug on some of the recently manufactured 6000s where the WNB does not work. This will be fixed in the next release of SmartSDR (likely 3.8). There are a few other things that have to go into that release before it is publicly available. We appreciate your patience.

It only works on a very specific noise, between 50-120hz repetitive powerline noise such as arcing powerline insulators, etc. For most of you, you won't hear any difference and it won't make a difference on typical QRN noise from power supplies, TV's, battery chargers, etc.

15.3 WIDEBAND NOISE BLANKER (WNB)

The Wideband Noise Blanker (WNB) is used to combat fast rise time pulse-type noise such as power
    line hash and car ignitions. To enable the Wideband Noise Blanker, click the WNB button, then adjust
    the threshold control for the best noise suppression. In general, the default setting is adequate, but
    depending on the noise characteristics, some adjustments can help. The WNB Threshold control
    adjusts the level at which a sample is considered to be impulse noise. The general rule of thumb for
    this adjustment is to use the lowest level that is effective. For large impulse noise (meaning the noise
    floor jumps are large) a lower level should be used. If the impulse noise is causing only small jumps
    in the noise floor, a higher level can be used.

Large signals, both in the passband and around it, can result in distorted audio if the WNB threshold
    control is set too high.

Since the Wideband Noise Blanker operates at the SCU level rather than at the Slice level easy
    detection of wideband correlated noise pulses is possible. The algorithm employs an automatic slider
    normalization function to make the WNB work consistently on different bandwidths and signal levels.
    This unique architecture allows pulse removal with far less distortion than many traditional noise
    blankers.

Given the wideband nature of this feature, the threshold slider in the GUI controls an entire SCU,
    which may have several Panadapters and/or slice receivers attached to it. For convenience, the slider
    control is available in each slice and each Panadapter. Adjusting any one of them adjusts for an entire
    SCU, and all related slider controls are updated. Enabling and disabling the WNB function is available
    separately for each Panadapter. All Slices present on a Panadapter inherit the same value for the
    WNB enable and level.

When the WNB detects a significant change in signal level or bandwidth, it attempts to normalize the
    slider value. During this time, blanking will be momentarily bypassed, and the WNB indicator in the
    Panadapter will start to flash (blink). Once a suitable normalized slider range has been re-established,
    the noise blanking action will resume, and the WNB indicator will return to a solid color.
    It is possible for certain WNB level settings to cause distortion with certain types of signals. For
    example, in the proximity of very large signals, noise may become worse with aggressive settings of
    WNB. If this is the case, either lower the WNB level setting, or disable WNB on that Panadapter.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Back story according to Steve Hicks: There was an arcing powerline near the Austin office. The WNB feature was developed to address this noise so that other testing was improved, so this is the only type of noise it addresses. I was hopeful it would help on the various types of noise I have from the nearby army post, but, alas, no.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭

The above video shows exactly the type of buzzing power line noise I get at my home QTH. The WNB feature takes 90% of my noise out and some days I wouldn't be able to use the radio if I didn't have the WNB. That is why I am hoping this is addressed in the new 8000 series or I will have to continue to use my 6700 until fixed.

K4QXX

Burch

• David Decoons, wo2x

it will be fixed in 3.8

My arcing has returned since a lightning hit here Friday night. Have to get my trusty DX160 shortwave radio and play “whack a pole” to see if it is same pole that was cause last time. A gentle tap of the pole is enough to hear the arcing change. I would never give the pole any serious whack.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

It would be my luck if I whacked a power pole something would fall off and whack me !

James

WD5GWY

• David Decoons, wo2x

I did a video I showed to the crew that came out a couple of years ago. I did not hit the pole hard, not even enough to leave a mark on the wood. One of the crew got a hammer out of the truck and WHACK! Crackling out of the DX160. They thought it was cool I could hear the arcing. Wound up the HV for my neighborhood terminated on one of the two poles on my property. End insulator was original from back in the 60’s. They replaced it and all was well until last Friday. Been hot here so will test one morning before it gets too hot.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.