Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bug/Limitation in SmartLink

Options

There seems to be a bug or limitation in SmartLink that should be addressed. I'm preparing for this weekend's INQP and a K9XN has brought his 6500 over to my house were we will both be operating in the contest. I opened ports so that he could access his radio remotely via SmartLink while it was over here on my LAN (separate ports from the ones that my 6600 is using for SmartLink).

The issue isn't with the ports, it's with the Radio Chooser. Looking at the Chooser, it appears that it is assuming that all the radios on the same LAN are (or should be) registered under the same SmartLink account.

This is not the case! My radio (the 6600) is registered under my SmartLink account, and K9XN's radio is registered under his account.

If I select the 6600 and 'SmartLink Setup' in the Chooser it says that my radio is not registered and that I need to register it. This is NOT correct! My radio IS registered under my own account and I CAN use that account to access my radio from outside my network via SmartLink. If I want to change the ports that my 6600 is using, I have to re-register it with SmartLink in order to access that part of the setup.

The functionality here is wrong. A SmartLink account is not associated with a LAN, it is associated with each of the individual radios. When selecting "SmartLink Setup" in the Radio Chooser, it should query to radio to see if it is indeed registered, and to which account. Assuming all the radios on the LAN are on the same SmartLink account as the LAST account registered on ONE of the radios is incorrect.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

If you have multiple radios on the same LAN, you will see all radios.

This is independent of SmartLink logins. SmartLink is only in play for connections outside your local Lan.

tldr; working as designed

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    edited April 30
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW Are you saying that the design does include the assumption that all the radios on the same LAN should be using the same SmartLink account? That's certainly what the radio chooser application seems to indicate by showing a single SmartLink account at the top rather than individual SmartLink account associated with each radio.

The problem is that it does not accurately show the SmartLink account associated with each radio and forces the user to re-register the SmartLink account on a radio if they need to change the SmartLink ports.

Can the issue be worked around? Yes.

Is it awkward and cumbersome? Also yes.

Is it broken in that it shows a radio as being "not registered" when the radio is in fact registered? Also Yes.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 30
    Options

All radios on the same LAN will be seen by all Clients (SmartSDR) on the same LAN. Therefore if you have 4 radios on the same LAN you will see 4 radios in the radio chooser. SmartLink is not involved at this point and since they are all on the same LAN in your house, why would you have it any other way.

In this example, the 6600 and the 6500 are on the same LAN. All 3 radios are actually registered to different SmartLink accounts. The 6500 is actually registered to a different SmartLink account, but since it is a different users, I am unable to tell who the owner is from this picture (but, since it is my radio, I do know who it is).

The 6600M is not on the same LAN and is remote and it is only available via a SmartLink connection.

It is associated with the SmartLink user (MI) signed in at the top. In order to see radios on other SmartLink accounts, you will have to log out of the logged in account and then log in as the different user. This will not affect access to any radios on the Local LAN.

And, yes, you will only see Radios that are registered with the SmartLink user.

You can have multiple radios on 1 SmartLink Account. You cannot have multiple SmartLink accounts on 1 radio.

I'm trying to understand what problem you are trying to solve but I hope explaining it this way makes sense. And, possibly I don't quite understand the problem you are trying to solve. Is it that it would be good to know from the radio chooser that those other radios are registered to a SL account and the account name?

Is it that you need to move radios between SmartLink accounts and if that is the case, yes, you'll need to register each time as it is a security step.

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW I was going to make a video for you this morning showing the issue and now I can't reproduce it fully.

• The issue is not with accessing radios on the local LAN
    • The issue is not with accessing multiple radios over smartlink that are behind the same router
    • We are not trying to use multiple smartlink accounts on the same radio.

The problem has to do with the radio chooser reporting that a radio is not registered with SmartLink when indeed it is registered. It also has to do with the radio chooser showing a single smartlink account at the top of the app when you have 2 radios and each of them is registered with a different smartlink account. Instead of displaying the single name and callsign registration at the top, it should be displayed next to each radio so you can see what account is registered with each radio.

If the issue pops up again, I'll try and get a recording of it and share it here.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

To be clear.

It also has to do with the radio chooser showing a single smartlink account at the top of the app when you have 2 radios and each of them is registered with a different smartlink account

Based on what you say, SmartLink is working as designed. You can only tell if a radio is logged into SmartLink if SmartSDR is logged into the same SmartLink account.

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW I was able to reproduce the issue and got a video of what's going on and why it's an issue. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.