Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for a USB Foot switch for PTT

Options
Tom-Freedman
Tom-Freedman Member ✭✭
HI,

I have a Flex 6600. I'm setting up a Expert 1.5-KA Amplifier and things are working as far as CAT control and PTT when using the hand mic. However, I'd like to find a way to use a Foot Switch for PTT when needed. I'm very attached to the idea of a foot switch when using headphones, but as far as i can tell I need the PTT RCA #8 connector on the rear panel for the foot switch. However that #8 Connector is used by the interface cable I received from Dan Tassell for Controlling PTT for the Amp.

I'm wondering if I could connect an off the shelf USB foot switch for PTT. I see that there are a number of USB Foot pedals available on AMAZON. I suspect this would require some setup of a USP device in the radio software

Would a USB foot pedal be a good solution, or do folks have other ideas for how to get Foot pedal PTT working when the #8 connector on the rear panel is otherwise occupied?

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tom, RCA jack #8 labeled "PTT" is an input, not an output. TX1 - TX3 are the outputs to the amp. Use TX Band Settings to select the TX port that you will be using for your amp. PTT is where you plug in your foot pedal.

• Tom-Freedman
    Tom-Freedman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    Options

All good options… I found and use this recent product too from Halibut Electronics for my PTT foot pedal:

https://halibut-electronics.github.io/HaliKey/User%20Guide.pdf

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    Options

Say, when things go really bad in your shack Tom you dont want to be using anything usb in your ptt line. Usb is very susceptible to rfi blitzing. Arcing amps for instance are throwing lots of hash in your goolash... here's what i have for a foot switch and ive had it since the 1970s... its an old wollensack dictaphone foot switch . It is made of a tough plastic, with a metal base and it is huge. I still miss it every so often in the heat of battle. I got a couple at an electronics surplus store back then. I had to replace the cord as the insulation was rubber based last year though. I had /still have a stack of radioshack 20 foot rca to rca cords still in the packages. I used to use the fast forward and reverse levers on left and right to rotate my rotor cw and ccw back in the olden days through my drake c4 counsole. Now i have mouse clicks. But if something goes badly i can lift my foot and the ptt goes to rcv. Its plugged right in the back of the radio. I still use ferrites on each end but its not an rfi issue. Find a quality switch and treat it well. It will last a lifetime. Erika DD

• Tom-Freedman
    Tom-Freedman Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I'll save the USB idea for remote operation If I get around to that

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.