Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Temperature Rise

Options

I lately noticed that when I turn on my PGXL and put it into OPERATE mode the PA heatsink temperature rises to between 50-52˚ when just idling. I have not transmitted since turning it on. The current draw is about 4A. When I put it in STANDBY the temperature drops to about 45˚ after a few minutes. The harmonic load temperature stays at about 29˚ or so and rises slightly when transmitting. If I place the amp back into OPERATE mode, the temperature steadily rises again to over 50˚ while idling without transmitting. This does not appear to be normal behavior. I think I recall lower idling temperatures in the past.

Can anyone comment about this?

Tagged:

Comments

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Open a help desk ticket.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

What speed are the fans in?

Whay version firmware?

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You'll find the temperature rises based on the BIAS current.

I ran RTTY all weekend at 700 watts and never got over 50C, but I am on the latest version.

We have done a lot of work on the firmware/fans and Bias, so the version is critical.

• Ken D'Alessandro
    Ken D'Alessandro Member ✭✭
    Options

Firmware version is 3.8.4

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Try upgrading to 3.8.8

Dave wo2x

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dave, 3.8.8 seems to have improved the cooling with the fan cycles. Now the next feature I wish for…is Auto-Standby, after x hours of inactivity. With x being a setable value like 2,4,6 hours.

73, Bill

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.