Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

eero port forwarding is useless

Options

UPNP is enabled, Smartlink can register and unregister fine, Smartlink functionality, no joy. Pointed the following Open TCP 21000 to 4494 and UDP 22000 to 4993 to Flex-6300 IP, still no joy. I can see the radio as available but it won't connect remotely and testing SmartLink fails.

I also run a Plex server and have issues with port forwarding for that as well and it should also use UPNP but since I first got this **** from MetroNet which was right before I went into the hospital I didn't get a chance to test it. Yeah I could replace the eero but since I was in the hospital for 3 months, I need to try and make this work until I can afford new gear.

This is easy stuff, it all worked using my old gear which is gone now, MetroNet support isn't any help and apparently as configured by MetroNet doesn't work for people who need more advanced usage than cookie cutter. 😐️

Answers

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    Options

Looks like the port and UPNP settings in the eero app are bogus.... I believe I have to purchase a static IP from MetroNet. I'm on hold...... endless hold to find out, praying I get somebody who understands the questions.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My self and a few others I have heard have given up on the EERO's and I returned mine and got some ASUS routers that work so much better in the mesh environment for 1/2 the price and have a easy WEB GUI instead of the **** EERO Phone app which is a big joke to try to configure them with.

Good luck

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    Options

I just bought static from them, waiting for it to take effect, should bring my Plex and Flex back up and running outside the home... will post back when I find out.

The eero equipment will not be here for much longer no matter the outcome.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess I’m pretty fortunate. I use the standard stuff Spectrum installed with my WiFi and cable TV and it works great.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    edited March 4
    Options

Sadly MetroNet doesn't configure like most companies plus they're Fiber not cable so bunches of homes share a private IP so think double NAT, though UPNP should still work, but wasn't, very well. I got the static IP up and running and now my Plex server is much faster dishing out media perfectly, network cameras aren't seeing any glitches but SmartLink is still no joy. I see traffic but it still doesn't connect. It shows the radio as available even...

Contacting the Helpdesk tomorrow, maybe I'm missing something simple.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    Options

So it looks like it just took a bit but suddenly the radio is working perfectly with SmartLink now, awesome!! 😃

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I use those devices without issue. If you had to purchase a fixed IP address, the problem wasn't the Eero, but your ISP.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    Options

The issue with the eero is the low quality interface and calling it low quality is being nice but it serves its purpose which is generic access. Until I discovered the double NAT I had to rule out the eero since none of the options in it could report back via log or anything if they were working, in fact the port forwarding options should be disabled but that also isn't eero's fault, it's MetroNet's. However it doesn't make the eero a good device to use for me, as soon as feasibly possible I'm replacing it with a better mesh network.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Ah,

Yes, if you are double nat'd, no matter what the router, you'll have to deal with it manually. The internet world wasn't really designed to be double NAT'd if you are hosting a server (the radio is a server). Then, you need to understand some basic networking.

Before you replace it, make sure you do some testing. My guess is you'll have the exact same issue.

The ideal way to use your EERO is to have a full function router, like pfSense, and then run the EERO in Bridge mode. That way the router does the router stuff and the EERO does the MESH stuff.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.