Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the best microphone headset pairing for the Flexradio 6600

Options
Alex - IK5PWJ
Alex - IK5PWJ Member ✭✭

Hi, I have had the Flexradio 6500 for several years and I recently purchased the Flex-6600 and would like to combine a headset with microphone with the Flexradio-6600.

Having a tone of voice that tends to be low-pitched, I have tried various microphone headphones with results that are not very good or barely sufficient as with the Heil Proset 6 with HC6 capsule.

Unfortunately with the Heil headphones/microphone the tones always remain too low without having a good output with the high tones.

Has any user of these radios found a good solution in a type of microphone headset that is able to increase the highest tones in TX while maintaining the bass in an optimal way?

What model do you have and can you advise me? The RX is also of interest of course and I would like to find a good pairing so as to have good listening in headphones but also with higher tones in TX.

Thank you

73 Alex ik5pwj.

Comments

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried changing the TX and/or the RX EQ settings on the 6600? You can use this to change the audio on receive and transmit.

Try that before you decide to purchase a new headset.

Here is the extract of the manual for SmartSDR.

Rich

• Alex - IK5PWJ
    Alex - IK5PWJ Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Rich,

thanks for the indication... I had already tried removing the bass and something improved but with the Heil Proset hc6 it is not possible to have a decent modulation as I can achieve with the 7610 or the 7850.

The only excellent modulation I have with the Flex6600 is with the microphone of the Sennhaiser MD-421 II which however is bulky while with the microphone headset it is something else. Unfortunately, to have decent modulation it is not possible to find headphones with a capsule or features like the Sennhaiser MD-421 II. I will see how to adapt the settings to the headphones I have.

Thank you

73 Alex ik5pwj

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Generally, the Heil microphones are not configured for communications frequency response, but rather for broadcasting and music.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The Heil HC-4 and 5 Mic elements are specifically designed for HF communications. The HC-4 being a full DX cut and the HC-5 for rag chewing.

I've used an HC-4 since the 90's and the minute I started using it, the change was noticeable in my contest rates. You can see the cutoff below 500hz and the boost at 2-3000 hz.

To be honest, the Koss SB-45 (~$50) is a darn good headset for the money. It is very bright and I use one all time of my Satellite station. It is very punchy. For me, my low cut is around 350hz and my high cut is about 3150hz.

My 2 cents, 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.