Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR lost internet in the middle of tune

Options
Hi,
I was using a flex 6500 remotely with smart SDR and put it into tune. With high swr the ethernet switched connected to the internet turned the internet off leaving the 6500 possibly in tune. The question I have is if the smart sdr looses internet while in tune, does the tune automatically tune off?

Jim

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

As far as I have experienced. I've had connectivity issues with my radio while tuning up and the thing just stays on and you lose all ability to do anything. (EVEN WHILE STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RADIO) I have had it destroy two amplifiers so far, both times while tuning the amp after the swr was nulled. All you can do is start pulling stuff apart... I've tried going to the computer and shutting off TUNE, or MOX and everything is just flat locked up. I've tried hitting power off on the radio, the end is flipping off the power supply. I'd recommend a magic way to dump station power via one of those remote switches. But if the RF has taken down the internet at the router you're just sort of lost. My last explosion a week and a half ago, was I accidently had the 160 antenna on the amp... it doesn't go through my coax switch. I have to manually change it. I was tuning up I thought on the 12m beam. The whole shack was filled with smoke and the culprit was the power supply on one of the computers responded to the high rf in the shack and kerboom.... That one cost me a new supply $129.05 from amazon... it fixed it and brought the computer right back up. K0DD

• wb2rem
    wb2rem Member
    Options
    Luckily, I didn't have an amp involved. However, does anyone know if there is a timeout feature on the smart sdr tune button or if the internet is lost in the process of tuning, does it shutoff automatically?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes there is,

• wb2rem
    wb2rem Member
    Options
    Thank You. Is this setting accessible through the smartsdr at the remote site?
  • frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have seen this happen. I would be in favor of a heartbeat monitor which stops TX immediately if connectivity to the controlling client is lost (a "deadman" switch). Of course, this could itself fail due to the presence of RF at the chassis.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I have had this happen a few times when the 160M radial ran by the Internet feed in.

The radio recovered just fine and without issue.

When running remote, you do need to make sure you test everything before you actually operate remote. It would help to find issues like this.

• wb2rem
    wb2rem Member
    Options
    I have now set the tx timeout timer to 5 mins so if this happens in the future it should recover ok. We are using a 80 meter antenna and by mistake tried to tune on 20 after the firmware update and this is when occurred. Thanks for the response. Jim
  • frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, in my case, "remote" just means I have to get out of bed and go to the basement ... 😀

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.