Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maximum Power for TGXL

Options
Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited January 26 in Tuner Genius XL

My 160M antenna is down for the winter and I am trying to work TX5S on my 80M SSB antenna. No joy so far and I am not surprised.

But, did you know that when you hit Tune on the TGXL it calculates the maximum wattage you can use for that tuning solution and presents it in the GUI?

Unfortunately, the 80mV seems that using a non-resonant antenna results in it being a bit of a cloud warmer based on PSKReport results. No fault of the TGXL.

Comments

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

Although this has nothing to do with TGXL, I suffer the same hardware problem. I only need Cliperton on 160M. I only have an 80M dipole, and my old L-4B amp doesn't cover 160M.

I have been copying them on 160M CW at about S7 and this AM on FT8 at +6.

No joy either...

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 26
    Options

I managed to work them on FT-8 once we got into Grey Line. But, if I had a resonant 160M antenna up, I would have been 20db stronger and worked them in short order rather than 3 attempts that almost made it over 2 hours.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately they quit FT8 a couple hours before my sunrise. They were still quite strong, but I noticed most of the reports thay were giving were between -15 to -20 so my 100W and virtually no antenna don't stand a chance.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for bringing it up. Are you one of "those guys" that reads the manual, lol.

I looked up the latest User Guide I have which was for v 1.1.16 and sure enough it states, " a maximum power indicator is shown when demanded by the limits of the tuning solution". OK, no wonder it didn't stick in my brain, your explanation is easier to understand. I've edited it, so my brain can absorb this fact.

"After a tuning solution is found, the TGXL calculates the maximum wattage you can use for that tuning solution and presents it in the GUI as indicated with a red bar and MAX on the top of it."

Then I went to test this to on my setup and found out that 'm running v 1.2.11 and it does not show this. I got a tuning solution from both the TGXL front panel and from the GUI, no joy. I am running AG v4 so I believe I need to run TGXL v 1.2.11 and I see Mike you are also running v 1.2.11, so I should see this too. What am I doing wrong?

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The 1K is not a limit that you see on a resonant 160M antenna but will show when trying to load a compromised antenna and or further away from the design frequency range of a normal 160M antenna cut for a particular section of the Band. As it says...its a "smart" tuner :)

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, I'm running TGXL v1.2.11 and am not seeing this indicator either.

Another problem I'm seeing with v1.2.11 mentioned in another post is the bypass selection feature in the "Bands" tab under Settings>Other doesn't work when integrated with the AG.

Russ KR6W

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Russ, this does work for me.

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi DL4RCE,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated ! Which firmware versions for the TGXL and AG are you using ?

Thanks, Russ KR6W

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Russ,

TG 1.2.11 needs AG 4.1.7

In TG Genius Integration tab, use the pull-down to select the serial number of the AG (last 3 octet of MAC address). Do not enter the IP like previous versions.

You might need to use the factory reset option in AG twice to ensure it is completely reset and make sure all dip switches are open on AG (down when looking at end with Ethernet connection to right).

Dave wo2x

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I do have, SmartSDR v3.6.8, PGXL 3.8.4, TGXL 1.2.11, AG2x8 4.1.7

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice as always. Even though I'd already done all of that (including using AG v4.1.7) following advice you gave me previously, I did factory resets on both the TGXL and AG again then reconfigured them for good measure. Strangely, although it didn't fix THIS problem (max power line on TGXL still doesn't show), it did fix another problem I was having - bypass setting in the freq list not working; now it does.

Are you saying you DO see the "Max Power" indicator line using these versions ? If so, I wonder what's going on with ours ?

Thanks, Russ KR6W

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.