Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR Version 3. 6.8 Audio Levels

Options

Hello , I updated my Flex 6400 to smart SDR Version 3.6.8 and a fellow ham Bob (K2JSP) said to keep your audio levels low can anyone elaborate on this ? And maybe tell me what audio levels he night be talking about ?

Thank you

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

You need to look at the level meter and keep the little peak indicator out of the red when you speak into the mic. The peak indicator is the little square. The line that moves behind it is the average indicator.

I am away from home today so I can't give you a screen shot of the controls.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

As the peak indicator approaches zero it will turn yellow if just below zero then red if any audio peaks on input to radio exceed zero.

Now, if you use the internal TX EQ and any sliders exceed zero then you need to reduce your TX input LEVEL even more as the EQ with sliders above zero add audio gain. The metering is before the EQ stage.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

What Dave and Len said.

The sliders and values don't really mean anything useful to anyone but yourself.

It is the Level Meter that is the one meter you MUST watch in SSB and Digital Modes.

Don't go by the values your buddy uses. They don't matter unless you speak with the same voice pressure.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, Dave, that brings up a sticky subject regarding pending feature wishlist for SmartSDR. I use my 5000A still from time to time and PowerSDR and enjoy the capability to select the meter for each stage of processing. This would be a very welcome feature and expanding the TX EQ to optionally have several parametric EQs is way overdue as well. This would satisfy many and certainly bring back more to the FlexRadio fold.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I agree. I do not understand why the metering is pre EQ. As it is, the meter is of no use to show the actual audio level if using the internal EQ.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.