SmartSDR v3.7.3 and the SmartSDR v3.7.3 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.12.0 and the SmartSDR v2.12.0 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.8.4 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.8.4
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.20 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.20
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Direwolf transmit with CAT Issue
Okay, this seems to be a popular issue on the web.
I have a Flex 6400 running firmware 3.5.9, Windows 10 SmartSDR v3.5.9.
I am trying to set up the direwolf v1.7.0 SDR packet modem using both DAX and CAT for use with APRS. I am using a UR3LMZ transverter on 144.390 for APRS.
DAX works fine. I can receive APRS beacons etc.. I can also see my transmit audio trying to go out.
CAT is the issue. Here is what I have done/checked so far.
- I have checked and set the TX Band Settings to use RCA TX1 (and the PTT cable is connected)
- I have ensured that the XVTR is set to transmit in the Radio settings XVTR tab.
- I have proven that the transverter config can work by keying the transverter using the MOX key (the radio goes into transmit and can be heard on another radio on 2M) as well as creating a second pan adaptor set to the transverter IF frequency and seeing signal there when MOX is pressed.
- I can see direwolf connected to the COM4 CAT port.
- I can go into the CAT LOG for COM4 when direwolf is connected and issue a Kenwood "TX" CAT command via the test capability and the transmitter keys. So CAT can, indeed, work.
With all this said. When I bring up direwolf with a proper COM port configuration in the direwolf.conf file as follows:
PTT COM4 RTS
Direwolf will start up, claim that it has a valid COM port at startup (the nice, green success message saying it is connected), will appear as connected in CAT, I then start a direwolf APRS client (PinPointAPRS), connect to the direwolf KISS modem, issue a beacon command and... I see the beacon command in direwolf as having been sent, but CAT/COM is never triggered, there is no transmit.
I have also tried both setting up another CAT/COM port and connecting direwolf as well as creating a CAT/PTT port. Neither of those work either.
I have successfully used direwolf on another radio via a hardware CAT connection with a digirig and that works. So I know I can set up CAT successfully.
This seems like a problem between direwolf's PTT setup and Flex's CAT.
Do I need to recompile direwolf to include and use hamlib to get CAT functionality? I have not seen others on this community explicitly needing to do that to get direwolf working...
Can anyone offer more suggestions? What am I doing wrong? I see that others on this community of used UR3LMZ transverters with success.
Leave a Comment
- All Categories
- 239 Community Topics
- 2.1K New Ideas
- 471 The Flea Market
- 7.1K Software
- 5.9K SmartSDR for Windows
- 127 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 326 SmartSDR for Mac
- 238 SmartSDR for iOS
- 220 SmartSDR CAT
- 158 DAX
- 347 SmartSDR API
- 8.5K Radios and Accessories
- 6.9K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 721 Maestro
- 39 FlexControl
- 834 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 704 Genius Products
- 379 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 243 Tuner Genius XL
- 82 Antenna Genius
- 224 Shack Infrastructure
- 150 Networking
- 357 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 119 Contesting
- 564 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 113 Amateur Radio Interests
- 796 Third-Party Software