Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there any way to interface a PTT switch to a PC running SmartSDR?

Options
Segrest
Segrest Member ✭✭
I use a Flex 6400 over a LAN using a Windows 10 system running SmartSDR. It works great and on the whole I am very pleased with the configuration. The only thing I don't like is having to toggle the MOX button for transmitting. I have 4 large monitors on this system and am normally using my mouse to work other applications while talking on the radio.

Can anyone tell me how I can interface a simple PTT switch to my PC so it can be used with SmartSDR?

Bob, KO2f

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The way the radio was designed from the beginning, the Mic Input that is active is the same as the device you push the PTT button. In your case, this is PTT on the Radio but the TX Mic Audio is not on the radio.

This is by design to limit confusion the other way around where someone pushes the PTT switch and the wrong sound device is active.

There are solutions that do send a PTT via CAT on the PC and this can be done by a several home brew solutions, FRStack, SliceMaster with a StreamDeck/Pedal.

• Segrest
    Segrest Member ✭✭
    Options
    I haven't found a discussion that talks about any of these solutions. Can you point me to one?

Bob, KO2F
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    Options

Here is another way to do PTT from a remote laptop

See morse code key to usb adapter – cwmorse.us

It was meant for CW Key but works for PTT also.

And then configure SSDR CAT

AL, K0VM

p.s. RTS <> CTS / DTR <> DSR

• Segrest
    Segrest Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Al, CW was also on my list and I have ordered one of these interfaces for that task.

Bob, KO2F

• Segrest
    Segrest Member ✭✭
    Options

My working solution came from a pointer Mike provided and the second screen shot Al provided. I really appreciate the guidance they provided.

It turns out all I needed was a PTT switch and a DB9 serial connector to plug into a USB serial port on my computer. The details are in the FRStack and Remote PTT — FlexRadio Community discussion which I will insert here for the next person with this question.

Then figure out what serial port you are using with the Windows Device Manager app. In my case it was COM14.

The last step is to Add a new port using SmartSDC CAT. Here is what worked for me.

When I push my PTT switch, the MOX button lights up in SmartSDR and my Flex 6400 transmits.

Bob, KO2F

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Bob,

Unfortunately, Flex does not support a CW port with SSDR CAT, straight key or otherwise via external USB hardware.

AL, K0VM

• Segrest
    Segrest Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Al,

Yes, that is indeed the official position.

1. I own my Flex 6400. It exists only on my LAN and there is NO public access to it. I am the ONLY licensed amateur radio operator in this environment. While I have 3 separate operating positions for my 6400, I only use 1 at a time and can be reasonably sure that the transmitter is only being keyed by me. So, I am not concerned about other sources tying to concurrently operate my station.
    2. The solution I documented above works.

Bob, KO2F

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    Options

If this is the official position why did this functionality work for years? Why is there a TX audio source select in SmartSDR?

If this is the case why can't I switch TX audio sources by keying the radio from different sources? This was a regression (smart-9340) over a year ago and still isn't fixed.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Yes, that is by design from day 1.

At the time, it was never discussed as something that anyone would want as I understand it.

That was over 10 years ago and in that 10 years, the way a FlexRadio is being used in the Hamshack has changed dramatically.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.