Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink port forwarding on Ubiquiti DMPro

Options
WY5PER
WY5PER Member ✭✭
Trying to set up port forwarding for SmartLink. Not exactly sure what to enter for the port forwarding here? Anyone have experience with a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, currently running Network 8.0.24

Interface: WAN, WAN2, or BOTH
Port:
Forward IP:
Forward Port:
Protocol: TCP, UDP, Both

I think I understand that "Forward IP" will be the radio IP on my network, and "Forward Port" would be 4993 or 4994 depending on if it's for TCP or UDP. But not sure what "Port" it would be coming from I guess? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@WY5PER

UPnP is the spawn of the Devil ☹️ Please exhaust any and all other ideas before UPnP.

I also use a UDM-Pro, with 8.0.24 software. Port Forwarding has proven solid and reliable in my case.

Although I don't use Starlink, these two settings (one for TCP, one for UDP) work for my UDM-Pro with my cable-based ISP:

The "Port" entry is where the outside world (you, when operating remotely) will hit your UDM-Pro. The "Forward Port" is the FlexRadio 6400 port where the radio is listening. In my case, and probably most, these ports are the same. They would only have to be different if you have multiple devices competing for a single port and you have to move one to resolve that conflict. So incoming port 4994 is simply forwarded to my radio's port 4994 - simple, straightforward.

My radio lives on my network at a fixed-IP address of 192.168.0.222 - please note that knowing your radio's IP-address and fixing it is MANDATORY. You can set this up with your DHCP server, or place it outside DHCP range and manually set the FlexRadio IP-address. But it must be known, and fixed (this is perhaps the one place where UPnP may be helpful - the radio's IP-address can change and things are supposed to "just work").

Good luck!

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Steve KD2OM

Problem solved!!! I contacted Flex support and Ken sent me a few test to run to help narrow it down. Apparently it is a fairly common problem. With my modem from my ISP and my own switch it was double NATing. I had my ISP put my modem in bridge mode and problem solved. I can now remotely connect! Thank you everyone for the help. Here is the test I ran that Ken from Flex sent.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031151812-How-to-Determine-if-your-Network-is-configured-for-Multiple-NATing

I will now be looking into creating a VPN to try and keep security on my network tight.

Thanks again everyone!

Answers

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The same ports,

if possible allow UPNP portforwarding so tht the Flex can request ports on it´s own.

Harry

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Make sure you review the setup in Chapter 8 of the SmartSDR manual as well regarding using a manual setup.

It does not have to be the same ports, but any ports of your choosing.

If you use uPNP on your Router, then the radio does all the hard work for you and sets up the required ports.

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Options

I really would rather not open up my entire network to UPnP. I have read that port forwarding is much safer. If I can't figure it out, I may create a separate network just for radio equipment?

I will definitely go back and review Chapter 8

Thanks

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Options
  • WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Gord-VA7GP

I also have a cable ISP. Still can't make it past the Test button, lol. I have my Flex set to a static IP in my switch for the network, but do I need a static IP from my internet service provider? The modem is theirs, and the switch is mine.

Flex IP in the switch is fixed.

TCP is set to 4994

UDP is et to 4993

I think the radio settings are correct?

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Gord-VA7GP

I also use a cable ISP. I still can't make it past the Test button. I am sure there is something I am missing somewhere. Radio is set to static IP in the switch network, but do I need a static IP from my ISP? I have a cable modem from my ISP that runs to my switch.

Radio IP set to static

TCP set to forward 4994

UDP set to forward 4993

Not 100% on the Radio Settings, but other post had something like this. I am aware that the mask up top says 255.255.255.248, I tried changing my settings to that and completely lost connection to the radio. Ran a cable to it and still couldn't connect. Ended up having to do a reset on the radio to bring it back, and it shows the same again as pictured.

SmartLink setup seems right?

Network

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Here is my '6400 Network:

Yours looks good to me ... No, you don't need a fixed-IP from your ISP.

The Flex appears to liek-and-use it's own choice of 255.255.255.248 which is more-conservative/secure.

Other than that, I can only suggest ensuring you hit "Save" or "Apply" everywhere, maybe reboot everything for good measure :-) Modem, UDM-Pro, FlexRadio...

You require that SmartSDR "Test" to succeed...

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Maybe I have a windows setting somewhere I can look at? Appreciate the help with the DMPro.

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭
    Options

Roy,

Did you ever get a solution to this question? I am having the same issue but with a different router

Steve KD2OM

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    Options

@Steve KD2OM

I still have not got it to work yet. I still can't get the SmartLink test to be successful. I even tried putting it in UPnP with no success. I made sure all of the Flex apps are allowed to pass firewall. It does populate the radio list when I am off the network, but won't connect. I don't know?

On a similar note, I am having problems getting Winlink Vara HF port to work also. I get "Unable to open Vara command port 8300" So I'm thinking there has to be something going on. I'm sure it's probably the same thing blocking both. I'm just not sure what to check next.

• WY5PER
    WY5PER Member ✭✭
    edited January 5
    Options

Well, it appears the ports are open through the firewall at least.
    I added an inbound rule, and still not working.
    But if I run "netstat -a -n" 4993 or 4994 don't seem to show up anywhere in the list.
    So does that mean they are not listening? If I run SmartSDR, UDP ports 0.0.0.0:4993 and 0.0.0.0:4994
    do pop up under UDP, but no "state" is listed. I have no idea what half of this even is, lol.
    I am already way past my understanding, just searching the web now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.