Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Correct connections/settings for IC7300 - PGXL - TGXL

Options

What are the correct connections and settings for operating a PGXL and TGXL (both are SO2R model) with an IC-7300 on port B?

PGXL is on 3.8.4 and TGXL is on 1.1.20.

I am currently using port A with my 6600.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Dave! This really helps out. I had sent an email to 4o3a about this, posted below is their response. Great support from both Flex and 4o3a!

FROM 4o3a:

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@KI5RLR

Hi! Give this a try (maybe you did this).

• Set the 7300 to AM mode and full power (100%)
    • PGXL in Standby
    • Put the 7300 into TX to provide the carrier
    • Now, hit the TUNE button on the TGXL or TUNE on the Windows App
    • When tuned, return the 7300 to your operating mode
    • Reduce the RF power to 25 watts to start
    • Put the PGXL into Operate
    • Test

It is not fully automatic like it is with a FlexRadio exciter. That means you have to do the steps manually.

See if that works.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

This is for TG XL SO2R model.

CI-V cable from radio to PG XL B side CI-V

Set PG XL CAT/CI-V B side to enable (Disable Flex for B side)

Set CI-V address in amp to radio’s CIRCUIT-V address

In tuner under Genius Integration, enter IP of Power Genius and select B only.

In TG XL under Flex tab, disable Flex port B

Now the tuner will get frequency info from the amp over the network

73 Dave wo2x

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok. Do I need to connect an additional (besides CI-V) cable for PTT between the IC7300 and PGXL?

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried all of that, the amp will key up but no band data is coming through. Let me know if you want me to post up any settings.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

One thing that I failed to mention. I am also using the Antenna Genius 2x8 in this setup.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Make sure you are using PG XL fw 3.8.4, TG 1.1.20, and AG 3.1.5

NOTE - this is the current as of 11/22/23 that work together.

Check radio settings and get CI-V address that is programmed in radio (in case it is different than what you think). Connect CI-V from radio to PG XL CI-V input. Connect PTT out of radio to TG XL PTT In. Then TG XL PTT Out to PG XL PTT In.

Make sure to set radio TX Delay to 30 ms.

configure PG XL for CI-V address of radio. Configure PG XL IP and AG IP in TG XL under Genius Integration.

You will need to have a way to take radio CI-V into a CI-V to BCD converter and feed BCD to AG. The AG at this time does not get band data from either the tuner or amp. The tuner will get antenna configuration information from the AG, that is why the TG XL and AG firmware versions have to be certain versions to talk to each other.

DX Engineering sells CI-V to BCD converters and there are several people who sell after market CI-V hubs.

Dave wo2x

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using AG 4.1.1. Do I need to downgrade to 3.1.5?

PG is on 3.8.4 and TG is on 1.1.20.

My Icom CI-V is 94h, I think. I did not see a way to input 94h in PG XL software. There were ways to change CI-V, but not to that setting... that I can see.

I did not run a PTT to the TG, only the PG. I thought TG would get BCD from PG, via LAN. That sounds like my 'main' issue.

I did have 30 ms TXD in place on Icom. Woo-hoo!

Could I manually select the antenna for the time period. I will look around for the CI-V to BCD and CI-V hubs.

Thanks for your help!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi Cliff,

For now, downgrade the AG to 3.1.5. Use the AG v4 app and choose upgrade firmware. Browse it to the folder where AG v3 is installed (AG v3 and v4 install to two different folders). Look for the 3.1.5 GSF file. Power cycle AG after downgrade.

When setting up antennas in AG v3, choose none in addition to the correct band or bands for each of your antennas. This allows manual selection. Note - when in manual, there is only one tuning memory per band. CAT, CI-V or Flex LAN allows 20 memories per band per antenna with 4 antennas per band max.

You should be able to enter 94 for the CI- V address in PG XL. The h just designates it is in hex.

Amp keying from radio to tuner PTT In. Tuner PTT out to amp PTT In.

I will be helping Ken Wells work on a better integration document for Genius equipment starting next week We plan to cover various configurations.

There is new AG and TG XL firmware coming in the near future. The configuration will not change but the AG and TG firmware must match specific versions. Right now the AG 3.1.5 needs to be paired with TG XL 1.1.20 for proper info. We’ll update the announcements with version info for each once Flex tests and puts the new firmware up for download.

I know 4O3A has released AG 4.1.6 but they did not release the matching TG XL firmware so we are asking that people hold off upgrading the AG until the proper matching TG XL firmware is released. Otherwise it creates support headaches.

I will be out of town today (Thanksgiving Day) but back Friday and checking the Community posts.

P.S. You will see me more active helping Mike Walker here.

Dave Decoons wo2x

Presale Technical Support

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I will wait for the new software. This is a lot of extra hoops to jump through and still not even have the AG work properly.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Would a BM-5 (BandMaster V) help out with this configuration? Or would I still need additional equipment?

Thanks and 73s!

KI5RLR

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

The Bandmaster V would help. I haven’t looked up the details but it should work.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I have it connected exactly like you described. The TG and PG will both key up when the IC-7300 is in TX mode. However, I cannot get the TGXL to tune with the 7300. The TGXL keeps saying 'LOW RF POWER'. I am attaching some photos of my settings, please let me know what I am doing wrong.

I have the AG in manual mode with the correct antenna selected.

Thanks!

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

YES! This worked!! Now, how do I make it automatic? lol

Would the 4o3a B2BCD (Band to BCD Decoder) be useful in this situation?

If not, what would work? I have found various CI-V to BCD converters... and at least one place that sells CI-V hubs... but I am not sure exactly what I would need.

Thanks!

Clif

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

The 4O3A B2BCD should allow integration to Icom to 4O3A PG XL, TG XL and AG.

Dave wo2x

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Do you sell those? Or do I need to get it direct from 4o3a?

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I have a ci-v hub on the way from VE2DX Electronics. My plan is to connect the PGXL, TGXL, IC-7300, and BM5 to the ci-v hub, with the BM5 also connected to the AG via BCD. Will that work? The BM5 is described below. Thanks!

"It features five communication channels. All channels are active simultaneously and provide data translation for your station accessories. In other words, if you are using an ICOM radio on the CI-V interface the BandMaster V will output 4-bit band data as well as RS-232 data in Yaesu or Kenwood format. In reverse, when using a radio on the RS-232 interface the BandMaster V will out 4-bit band data as well as an ICOM CI-V data stream."

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Yes that will work.

we (Flex) do not sell the B2BCD but it can be ordered from 4O3A.

with PG XL 3.8.4, TG XL 1.1.20 and AG 3.1.5 the B2BCD would allow CI-V from radio to B2BCD, the CI-V from that to PG XL. The PG XL feeds frequency to TG XL over network and feeds BCD to AG. No need for CI-V hub. It also has USB to PC.

The CI-V hub will work with Bandmaster V as an alternative.

73 Dave wo2x

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dave! I have an order in (5-6 weeks) with 4o3a for a B2BCD. I will use the ci-v hub and bandmaster for now.

Clif KI5RLR

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Ok great. Let us know your progress.

73 Dave wo2x

Presale Technical Support

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike - Is there a way to make it fully automatic with a non flex radio by using an external amp exciter?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.