Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect A/B Switches to 2 AG's (16 antennas to 2 radios configuration)

Options
Frank ON9CC
Frank ON9CC Member
edited November 2023 in Antenna Genius
Hi all,

I have 2 AG's (so 2x 8x2AG) and want to connect them to my Flex-6600 for being able to switch between 16 antennas. I have configured both the AG's as mentioned in the manual.
I also have 2 A/B-switches and 1 SSC-OM-Module ( the OM Module is [u]connected to the Master AG[/u] with the supplied serial cable).

The manual doesn't explain however how to connect both of the A/B switches in order to use the 16 antenna ports by the 2 radio ports.

Questions:
- do I need to select '2xAG with OM control' in the AG configuration for what I'm trying to do? I assume yes, because if I do select this in the configuration and then select any of the Antenna ports (1-16), than the matching port number output on the SSC OM Module will also be selected. So if Radio 1 port uses AG port 1 and Radio 2 port uses AG port 10, then the SSC Output 1 and Output 10 LED (actually it's port 2 output 2 LED) on the SSC OM Module will be on.

But does this mean that I connect each of the 6 outputs of Port 2A to one of the A/B switch and each of the 6 Port 2B outputs to the other A/B switch (so run 6 wires in parallel to each of the A/B switches)?

Obviously I don't need to connect Port 1A and Port 1B to any of the A/B swithes since the A/B switch is N/C to Out A, so I only need to tell the A/B switches if they need to route the RF signal to the second AG.

I can see the logic here, but just want to check if I'm not shorting anything and damaging the SSC OM since I'd be running port SSC-OM outputs in parallel to the A/B switch.

Any tips / confirmation?
Thanks in advance!

Frank
ON9CC

NB: also posted the same question on the 4O3A forum but it seems to take a while for the moderator to review my question ...

Best Answer

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I received this for 403a as I had the same question. If only using the two 8x2 AG's, there is no need for the OM.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Frank

Email 4O3A directly. They can talk you through it.

• Frank ON9CC
    Frank ON9CC Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    > @KH6XX said:
    > I received this for 403a as I had the same question. If only using the two 8x2 AG's, there is no need for the OM.
    > Hope this helps.
    > Randy

Hi Randy !

Thanks, this is what I was looking for ! ... and kinda overlooked in the manual TBH :/ ... also I had both units lying on my workbench and was only looking at the bottom side of them, so I didn't even see that A/B switch connector on top ... guess I had been running low on caffeine ... anyway, it could have been mentioned clearer in the manual at the back, where they explained the master-5lave configuration and adding the picture you attached would have been perfect.

Thanks again!

Frank
    ON9CC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.