Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to get LOG04OM Spots sent to SmartSDR

Options
Mark Griffin
Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Good Evening,

Does anyone know how I can send Cluster Spots received on LOG4OM to SmartSDR?

Mark Griffin KB3Z

Answers

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi, KB3Z:

I use FRStack as the intermediary for doing exactly as you wish. I forget the exact configuration, but roughly:

• turn on Cluster Server in Log4OM. This will "repeat" or "resend" the Log4OM spots that you've already configured. Thus, Log4OM acts as first a Cluster Client, then a Cluster Server. I have both set to AutoStart
    • In FRStack, you specify the local computer as the Cluster source. Maybe 127.0.0.01? There are a few other settings about autoconnect, placement of the spots, etc.

While lacking detail (at 6am), I hope I have given you some direction. It does work, and it's nice to click-tune in the panadapter to tune.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Gord,

Thanks for your help. Spots are now showing up on my SmartSDR Screen. One would think that LOG4OM would have a formalized way of doing this without one having to use FRstack.

Mark KB3Z

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

I am now running into another problem with LOG4OM V 2. I am using FRStack to transfer Spots that it is receiving from LOG4OM to FRStack and then to SmartSDR. Here is the problem that is occurring. I started the program last evening, and when I checked it this morning LOG4OM was frozen. It did not give me any Error Messages. But I had to do a Control Alt Delete to get out of LOG4OM. And once I did that, I could restart the program. I just wonder when I am sending the spots via the internal server via UDP 23 that is making the program freeze after a period of time? One thing I have not tried is to LOG4OM pick up spots from the cluster, but not send it over to FRStack? What are your thoughts on this?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

It sounds like that Log4OM froze due to a hung TCP port. This is a coding issue in the TCP management where the ports don't time out.

Why not have Log4OM get spots from the DX Cluster and FRstack get them from the same DX Cluster?

For most DX Clusters you can log in multiple times by using different logins, such as KB3Z-1, KB3Z-2, etc.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike,

I went back to N3FJP AC Log. That has not given me any issues. I just thought I would try Log4OM and see how it works. But evidently it is not really Flexradio User Friendly at this point in time. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mark... I use Log4OM with my Flex all the time -- but as Mike suggests, I let FRStack get the spots from an external source, then display them on the Flex panadapter. Clicking on the spot on the panadapter takes me directly to the stn -- no problems and Log4OM tracks right along....

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Don,

They also have in their instructions to use HAMLIB instead of Omnirig. And they also recommend using Slice Master. I tried that to no avail. Perhaps in the future, I will try again with Log4OM.

Mark KB3Z

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mark, yea... I haven't had any luck with HAMLIB and Log4OM, and also you need the 'old' (v1.x) version of OmniRig (at least in my case) to get Log4OM to talk to Flex. Sorry you had all the hassle and Glad you found a working solution.

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm trying out LOG4OM and experiencing difficulties getting spots to appear. I've had more luck with Stack Master but only by configuring it to telnet spots in rather than spots derived from the logging program. Haven't been able to get LOG4OM to integrate with the Flex at all with FRStack.

Is there config instructions for setting up what I am trying to achieve?

73 John, G3WKL

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Roughly (from memory):

in Log4OM I connect to the telnet spot-servers. I then see the right-hand band-spots filling up.

Then, I turn on the Spots Server within Log4OM (I think I have it set to always auto-start).

I then use FRStack, which pulls the spots in (using a matching port-number, I think)

Lastly, I have FRStack configured to push the spots into SmartSDR, and display the callsigns in the spectrum.

There may be a more-direct way to do all this, but it works for me.

HTH!

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited March 9
    Options

My setup is pretty simple.

In Slicemaster's "..." tab:

In the Bandmap panel

1. Connect to whatever spot sources (telnet clusters) you want.
    2. Check the "Send spots to radio" box

In the Telnet panel

Set the aggregation server to 7300 (or whatever you want) and check the "Enable" box.

In L4OM:

Set active server to localhost/127.0.0.1 and the same port as the Slice Master aggregation server. (127.0.0.1:7300).

That's it. The spots appear on the panadapter and there's no need to get FRStack involved in the process.

73, Rick N0VT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.