Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmit Delay With PGXL/6400

Options
W8ASA
W8ASA Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

EDIT: I turned the amp off for a few moments, then back on. All is well again. Guess I'll have to turn the amp off after a day's operation, but that's no big deal.

Trying to operate the Sweepstakes CW contest. However, when I go to transmit, whether with my Begali key or the CWX (F1/F2, etc), the transmitter starts sending, but the PGXL doesn't kick in until AFTER the W in my call (W8ASA). So, the other station gets 8ASA every time and has to ask for repeat. I initially solved this by sending twice, but that's not the answer, I know. It only started doing this today.

Sometimes, I'll just hit a quick Dit and send my full call after I hear the amp kick in.

Latest firmware all around.

Ideas?

Ken W8ASA

Comments

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ideas? - Yes, Flex has to fix that bug.

It appears once in the while and like you already figured it out, PGXL power cycle fixes the issue.

Sergey

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue here. I tried adding a space in front of my call in CWX. Did not help, so I added an 'e' before my call to wake up the amplifier. Not an issue barefoot with my 6600, only with the PGXL. At first I thought it was an RFI issue, but it happened into a dummy load and at lower RF power settings on the PGXL. Tried QSK and various Delay settings but no change. The 'N' was always clipped. Added Mix31 ferrites everywhere.

SmartSDR v3.5.9

PGXL v3.7.32

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Bill,

update the amp to 3.8.4

Try this. Use 30 ms TX delay. Set CW delay to 30 ms.

Dave wo2x

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Wow! That is great now. I guess I missed the Update Announcement. Thanks Dave!

73, Bill NE1B

• Troy NW1B
    Troy NW1B Member ✭✭
    Options

I have same issue

6400 into power genius amp into tuner genius

Power cycle does seem to work but I've not determined how long this fix lasts

Any reboot that can be done remote other then a power line WiFi switch?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

If you go into the PG XL app Device Settings and click Save, it will reboot the amp.

@Troy NW1B what is the exact problem you have?

Firmware versions of radio, amp, TG XL? AG? If so, what version?

73 Dave wo2x

• Troy NW1B
    Troy NW1B Member ✭✭
    Options

smart sdr 3.5.9

power genius 3.7.32

Tuner 1.1.16

My issue is that amp is delayed in TX . It shows in CW. NW1B ends up transmitting as EW1B

I find that a power down of the amp resolves the issues.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I opened a support ticket so this gets investigated.

Does it do the same thing without the PGXL engaged?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Troy,

In addition to what support directs, upgrade the amp to latest 3.8.4 and tuner to 1.1.20.

Make sure Flex TX Delay is 30 ms.

73 Dave wo2x

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had the same issue. My callsign, NE1B, was sent as EE1B. Upgrading the PGXL to 3.8.4 and setting the TX Delay to 30 ms resollved the truncation.

73 Bill, NE1B

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

A bit of clarity on TX Delay.

If you only do SSB, then a TXD of 0ms is good enough. If you do CW, then a TXD of 20-30ms is required.

Since most hams do both modes, then we recommend add a bit. The good news is that you won't even notice the difference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.