Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Radio SWR When Used with PGXL

Options

My setup has a PGXL after my 6700, then TGXL then Antenna. My usual antenna is a SteppIR BigIR vertical. It tunes quite well on all HF bands from 40M up. The highest native SWR (tuner bypassed) I see is about 1:1.45 on 20M and by 15M it's low enough that I have the tuner set to bypass from there up. This is measured with a Telepost LP100a between the TGXL and antenna, and the TGXL and PGXL measurements pretty much agree.

However, what I DO see is the SWR shown by the RADIO creeping up a bit with higher bands. It's never super high - about 1:1.7 on 6M - but since the radio is looking directly into the input circuits of the PGXL (which I assume are designed to present 50 Ohms at it's input), I would expect the radio's SWR to be much lower than that.

Is this normal ?

Thanks ! Russ KR6W

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

This is an interesting observation that needs an answer. I too get the same rising SWR on the radio as the frequency band gets higher. This is into a different amplifier than Russ, an Acom 2100S. On 6m the radio reports 1:1.9

Using an Icom 7100 into the Acom does not exhibit the same rising SWR, in fact it is flat about 1:1.1 on all bands.

After the amp, for these measurements, I have a dummy load whose native SWR is 1:1 on all bands.

So something about my 6400M is similar to the 6700 described by Russ. For me it is not a big deal but does strike me as strange.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I created a support ticket for Russ.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.