Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to downgrade to a previous version of SSDR

Options

I am troubleshooting a CW performance issue. It started about the time I upgraded to SSDR v2.10.1 from v2.9.2. I thought I might roll back to v2.9.2 to see if that changes my experience.

Section 5.1 of the most recent version of the SSDR user's guide (which is dated September 2019, is there nothing more recent?) says,

"If the active version of SmartSDR requires an older radio firmware version, a pop-up window will be shown to verify that this is being done intentionally.

"Clicking (the downgrade) button will remove the current version of the firmware and install an older version that is compatible with the version of SmartSDR you are running. Click (the cancel button) to maintain the existing version of the firmware."

What I actually see, when I launch SSDR v2.9.2, is this window:

Am I doing this correctly? It is disconcerting to see a button that says "update" when what I would really be doing is downgrading.

Tim K9WX

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tim, yes, this is what you should see when either upgrading or downgrading. Be careful downgrading, as some things may not compatible (typically, profiles). Check the release notes for warnings about things like doing a factory reset, not using profiles from a higher level release, etc.

Also be sure to export your profiles for when you eventually re-upgrade to the current release. Some downgrades are seriously not recommended as they put your SD card at risk of failure. The recent upgrades did a lot to improve the reliability of the SD cards.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Per Tim of FlexRadio, downgrading the firmware to a version before SmartSDR v2.10.0 will result in Windows consuming all the available disk space in the display on M-Model radios and Maestros .

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is what Tim told me when asking about downgrading:

if you want to downgrade, you can do that too, but you MUST factory reset the radio after downgrading the firmware in the radio and you cannot use any profiles created with later versions of SmartSDR. Import the profile you created with SmartSDR v2.4.10. The reason for this is the database in the radio is not backward compatible and once you upgrade to v2.9.1, the database is in the v2.9.1 format.

The Maestro has no restrictions or caveats related to down or upgrading.

Having a spare SD card would be good insurance just in case the current SD car does not pass the media integrity test that is performed when upgrading to SmartSDR v2.9.1. You can order one from our website

-------------

BTW I never did upgrade, as the issues regarding CW is still there in the newest version, as users have reported. It seems 2.4.10 is the one for CW ops :)

/Lasse SM5GLC

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Options

See Tim’s message in “SmartSDR v2.10.1 is Now Available,” above.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Neil D Friedman N3DF

Not exactly true. It does mean that Windows might send some forced updates but it could take a long time to fill up. Runing v 2.2.2 will quickly clean up the space.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Options

Mike—so Tim does “not exactly” give correct advice? I quoted his post precisely.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, the version of Windows in the Maestro and the M model radios are locked down and do not take Windows updates from Microsoft Update. The only way any Windows updates can be applied to either one is if they are included in an update from Flex Radio. I was told this by Stephen Hicks quite some time ago. And Tim Ellison has said the same thing.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Yes, that is very true and that is 100% what we thought and made the mistake of assuming. The space was not consumed by FlexRadio data.

However,

Microsoft broke its own rules and pushed out Edge updates to devices to embedded devices such as the Maestro. I was the one that figured this out and I have the screen shots to prove it. :)

In fact, it isn't only Edge. There was another product that we don't use that was pushed.

We were not the only industry affected.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So, Microsoft can bypass a locked down version? That really is bad if that's the case.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Yes, we thought the same thing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.