Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VPN help

Options
wp3a00
wp3a00 Member ✭✭
I am interested in finding someone who can install a VPN for my station. I am not an expert in that, so I need someone who is willing to let me know their rate and reach an agreement to do this work. Send me a direct email to me.
kp2bvi@gmail.com

Answers

• jmwallace74
    jmwallace74 Member ✭✭
    edited April 17
    Options

wp3a00.

The question is maybe not the correct question. VPN for your station? Typically if your home router supports setting up VPN software so you can remote from the internet to your home network, that company you have purchased your home router from will provide the software and instructions on how to setup the VPN. I have an ASUS router, and they provide the instructions and software for me to be able to remote into my home router from the internet using an encrypted VPN connection. There may be problems implementing this VPN though. These questions need to be answered by your Internet provider: Does your internet provider allow remote access to your router and from anywhere in the world? Does your internet provider give you a constant IP address or will the Internet address change change frequently? Just to implement the FlexRadio smartlink to remotely access your station from the Internet, you don’t necessarily need a VPN, but these two same questions will be important to get the answered from your Internet provider. I do not have the VPN software setup in my home router and I can still access my FlexRadio, TGXL and PGXL remotely without issue.

Also for remote operations of your flexradio, it may be simpler to purchase a dedicated windows computer, set-up all of the FlexRadio software on this computer to work on the local network without Smartlink. Then get remote PC software- something like GOTOMYPC install and set it to remote into this computer. Of course then you will need a second computer with GOTOMYPC to access the remote computer . This would probably be the easiest way to get the ability to remotely control a flexradio instead of trying to step up a VPN and if you are having issues getting Smartlink setup. There are lots of companies that sell remote access software and the subscriptions.

John

WD8OQS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Here is my 2 cents.

For a VPN, you may wish to use SoftEther as it handles some of the networking very well that works with your FlexRadio. It does mean you can run the SoftEther VPN Server on a RPI at the remote end. This will then give you full access to your network.

I also high recommend having a PC at the remote end. I have been using used IBM Think Centers that I buy from Amazon for under $200.

Here is something you may wish to review on my having a PC at the remote end.

There are many ways to do this, but this is how I did it for ease and reliability. Depending on who you use, they will have their own solution. You do want to make sure that on the VPN it handles the correct Layer 2 traffic for the radio. SoftEther does that for you.

73, Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.