Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Friends 6400 won't come up using Smart SDR Mac?

Options

I went to assist a friend last night - he has a 6400 no AT. He is running Mac SDR software.

Supposedly its been updated. It's about 18 months old. It won't come up using his Mac software.

The green light is solid.

We tried both reboot of radio and computer.

We tried a hard reset and it came back to solid green led.

Wondering if it needs firmware update? I run windows with latest 3.5.8 SDR

We have had a lot of windows upgrades the past year (Windows OS)

Does Mac update the firmware?

Thanks for your help, Bill WW5M

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Bill

This is not a firmware issue, it is a networking issue.

Often, it is due to some sort of network isolation on their WiFi or maybe they are using a range extender.

Do you know what the IP address is of the radio and the IP address of his MAC?

Mike

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

The firmware versions would (or could) be the same for windows and Mac. Like on Windows you can update the firmware using the Mac software. When you say it wont come up do you mean it is not showing in the 'Available Radios' window? First thing to check would be to check all the network cables from the radio to his firewall/router and Mac to firewall/router - if it is hardwired. If they are all good and blinking happily then you/he could email Marcus the creator of the Mac software and ask for help. Since the radio is green sounds like it booted up fine so it sounds like a network or software issue. Marcus in my experience is pretty responsive by email. In the SmartSdr for Mac app Preferences->Information & Support tab panel there is an option to 'Contact Developer'. Click there and it will start an email the default email program with some valuable information for Marcus like version of SmartSDR, info about the Mac and all.

• Bill WW5M
    Bill WW5M Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike,

He did put in a help desk ticket last night which has been answered. The CAT 6 cable goes from radio directly to the Mac laptop I believe. Dose Mac push the firmware updates we have been getting in Windows?

Or does firmware stay the same in 6400 and we just get software updates or bug fixes?

• Bill WW5M
    Bill WW5M Member ✭✭
    Options

I will have him contact Marcus.

Thanks for answers!

73 de Bill WW5M

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok I've never connected my radio directly to my computer. I know according to Flex this should work on a PC not sure about Macs. (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118558-How-to-Connect-your-FLEX-6000-to-a-LAN#:~:text=When%20you%20connect%20a%20PC,special%20Ethernet%20cables%20are%20needed.) It talks about making sure the adapter is set to DHCP for Link Local to work. I've no experience there. May want to make sure they are directly connected and inform Marcus of that so he is aware when trying to assist. Good Luck

73 Michael, AA5SH

• Bill WW5M
    Bill WW5M Member ✭✭
    Options

I know that it was working before. It sat for quite a while. Flex has had many software upgrades

with the Windows version and I know it will write over what is programmed in the SD card. I had

to replace my SD card due to this. One day it just wouldn't boot up anymore. New card took care of it.

Certainly these new software upgrades would be similar on the Mac. Even know especially with

the new Flex radios being sold they have a different Chip configuration and won't work with the

old software. Just thought maybe his SD card may not be compatible with new software.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Dear Bill,

I appreciate your inquiry and would like to provide you with some clarifications regarding the internal operations of our Flex 6000 series radios.

While you mentioned a scenario involving SD card replacement, it's important to note that the root cause of such failures is typically mechanical rather than being attributed to software parameters, as you previously indicated.

I'd like to emphasize this point to avoid any potential misconceptions or incorrect conclusions.

The functionality of the radio involves responding to commands originating from various client applications such as Windows SmartSDR, SmartSDR iOS, SmartSDR MAC, or DogparkSDR.

It's crucial to understand that the MAC software does not overwrite any operational software within the radio itself. The sole software running within the radio is the one developed by our dedicated engineering team at FlexRadio.

Regarding recent hardware changes, there was a necessary chip alteration prompted by parts shortages. This alteration affects a specific boundary point on newer radios, preventing software rollback beyond a certain point. This design, combined with meticulous software versioning, ensures that users cannot inadvertently take actions that might negatively impact their radios. Therefore, there is no need for concern in this regard.

The challenge the customer is encountering appears to be associated with their LAN/network setup, external to the radio itself. My suspicion is that if the radio were connected directly to the LAN rather than via the MAC, the issue might be resolved. Specifically, attempting to use the MAC in a Link-Local setting, as the customer is attempting, has been known to pose challenges.

As a troubleshooting step, I recommend having the customer connect the radio directly to their home network. This test will help us determine whether the issue persists or if the direct connection resolves it.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I think I might have an idea.

If you have SSDR MAC set to connect to last radio and that radio’s IP changes, it will not connect.

Try holding the Option key on the keyboard while clicking on Connect in SmartSDR MAC.

Dave wo2x

Flex Radio Presale Support

• Bill WW5M
    Bill WW5M Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike,

Yes I agree that the SD card was the point of failure, not the software. So if I am understanding this correctly

when installing a software update it only affects the SD card. All data medias will reach a point of failure

in time and even more so when the data written over the media is changed more often. I wasn't trying to point out that it was the radio or software failing anyway. I just wondered if there is a difference between the Windows OS and the Mac OS. Obviously they can both exist because I can run the radio from both my Windows computer and the Apple Ipad.