Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL and TGXL being used with OEM HF (non-Flex) radios

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi All

We are doing an informal survey to see what OEM (non-Flex) radio you are using with your PGXL.

Can you take a moment and comment by replying:

• What OEM radio
  • What CAT mode did you select (or, are you using RFsense)
  • Your TX Delay (it should be 20ms or better)
  • Your TGXL version
  • Your operating style (FT8, SSB, CW, Dxing, Contesting, etc)
  • Any other comments

thanks

Again, comment in this thread please.

Comments

• Hi
    I am using a Kenwood TS-890s and Flex 6600

The Flex is on port A of the PGXL and Kenwood on port B I have a 1x3 TGXL also
    so it is on port A for both radios with manual coax switch to select the different radio I want to use

I use Cat for the Kenwood 890 and of course Lan control on Flex
    PGXL controls the band information on the TGXL

Because I have a 1x3 TGXL I have to disable the Flex on port A and enable Kenwood in settings of
    TGXL when using Kenwood and enable Flex when going back to Flex 6600

TX delay is set for 30 ms on Kenwood 30 ms on Flex

TGXL version is 1.1.20 PGXL ver is 3.7.32

I operate SSB some CW with Kenwood and Flex SSB and some FT-8

I operate some contests with both Radios

Ray WB0HHM
  • Jeff - AK0DX
    Jeff - AK0DX Member ✭✭

SO2R Flex Station: Meastro/6600, PGXL, TGXL, 2x8 AG

• Tx Delay 30ms
    • Ethernet cables

SO2R OEM Radio: IC7610, PGXL, TGXL, 2x8 AG

• TGXL (CAT)
    • 2x2 coax switch to swap the 6600 A&B ports with the 7610 antenna ports (to the PGXL)
    • PGXL (SENSE)
    • PTT lines to TGXL - Manual PTT switch for routing SO2R_TX1 and SO2R_TX2 to PGXL, Icom only provides one PTT line for both antennas.
    • PTT lines to TGXL
    • Tx Delay 30ms

FT8, CW, SSB

Latest TGXL and PGXL versions

Jeff - AK0DX

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks both!

BTW, the recommended TX Delay is 30ms and that is something that is set in your radio.

For those that don't know what TXD is, it delays the RF by 30ms before sending it. This allows all the RF devices downstream to move from RX to TX. 20ms might be enough but you should be fine at 30ms. And, we doubt you'll even notice the difference.

For those using a FlexRadio exciter, there is a much more robust communication between the radio and the downstream devices. The radio actually talks to other devices to see if they are ready to transmit.

• W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭
    • What OEM radio -- ICOM 7610
    • What CAT mode -- CI-V on B
    • Your TX Delay -- 20 ms
    • Your PGXL version -- 3.7.32
    • Your operating style (FT8, SSB, CW, Dxing, Contesting, etc) -- ALL
    • Love my PGXL
    • W8ASA Ken

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.