Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Winlink, VARA, WSJT-X & FLDIGI

Options

I am assuming all these digital modes can be setup on the FLEX 6400 with CAT I think I saw a manual on WSJT-X but I did not find anything for VARA (Preferably VARA-C) and FLDIGI.

Thank you

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

At this time, there is no video for this, but the setup is the same as for all digital programs.

If you are trying to run digital remotely, it is highly recommend to run a PC local to the radio and then do a remote desktop connection to that PC. This will ensure you do not have packet corruption in the audio data your digital programs require.

I explain why here:

Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Look on You Tube. I know there are several videos showing WSJT-x and FLDIGI setup proceedure for a flex 6K radios. I don't know about VAR-C. Mike VA2MW from Flex authored several of the above mentioned videos.

Gayle K0FLY

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi James, first, you need to load VARAHF. Then go to Settings, SoundCard and set up the input and output:

Make sure that you have set DAX Channel and DAXCIQ Channel to 1. Make sure that you are in DIGU mode.

Be sure to turn on DAX (I use a Mic profile called LenDigital that has this set).

Next, load and start VarAC. Go to Settings, RIG Control and VARA Configurations:

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. So if I leave my Flex 6400 radio on at the house and go to my friends house 35 miles away. And use my laptop and smart link on my friends WiFi I should still be able to use VARC-C ? Remotely ?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

One point to mention. There is no ALC meter on a FlexRadio.

You want to ensure your TX Drive Audio Level is at -5db and no more and make sure that your mode is DIGU (not USB). This ensures there is no EQ processing.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike do you have a you tube video on VARA-C ?

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi James, running digital remotely is a little more complicated.

The audio from the radio to the digital program comes from DAX. Unfortunately, DAX data cannot be sent remotely.

My solution (I have not tried this with VarAC yet, but have with other things) is to have a computer with the rig. It runs the digital program (VarAC, WSJT-X, etc). The laptop at the friends house connects to the radio using SmartLink. To access VarAC, you would need a remote desktop application (AnyDesk, TeamViewer, etc). You would log into the computer using this and operate VarAC with the remote desktop program.

I recommend trying this all at home, with the laptop connected to a different network (e.g. phone hot-spot) so that you can work out the kinks.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

What is "DIGU" What is it ? What the acronym mean ?

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

Digital USB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.