Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR (Smart Link) Is freezing up.

Options

Hello when I go out of my local area network into the AT&T 5-G network (No WiFi) and open my IOS smart sdr (with my Apple IPhone 14 pro IOS version 16.6 ) the application freezes up. Almost like back in the day with an IRQ conflict. Has anyone had this issue before ? The screen looks like it is running but none of the menus are accessible.

Thank you

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. I think Mike is asking what your network data rate is. When you bought your network service, how much data per second did you purchase?
    2. Turn Rate: all the way down to 1.
    3. Turn the FPS: down to 5 or so.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct. You answered the question with your post of the speed test.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here are the issues.

Your Upload is only 1.4M. That is pretty low. Can you check with your ISP and see what it should be. For 40M down, you should have at least 5M up.

1.4M upload is not enough to operate the radio with a waterfall and panadapter. This results in the exact symptoms you are seeing. When you use the radio remotely, the upload speed is the critical number to watch.

The upload Latency of 3175ms is causing your audio breakup (over 3 seconds). That number should have an average of something under 100ms.

This can be an ISP issue or a Router issue.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

When it freezes up, it is due to some sort of loss of bandwidth.

In my findings here in Toronto 5G is the same as 4G performance (believe it or not) and that was confirmed by someone I know personally who works in the industry. You will know when you get 1G performance when you see 5G+ (sad, isn't it).

• looking deeper, what is your upstream bandwidth from the radio?
    • On SmartSDR for IOS what happens if you disable the waterfall?
    • Slow down the RATE and FPS settings in display?

All the above will reduce the amount of data being sent outbound from the radio to the iOS device.

Those are some of my thoughts. Others may have ideas as well.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Mike. Here my response.

1. What is your upstream bandwidth from the radio? How do I find this setting on the radio ?
    2. On Smart SDR for IOS what happens if you disable the waterfall? How do I disable the water fall ?
    3. Slow down the RATE and FPS settings in display? How do I slow down the frames per second ? Is this on the Flex or Iphone ?

Thank you.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Click on the display tab. Waterfall and and FPS controls are there. Mike will have to help you with upstream data. I'm not an IT guy.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

This is a speed test I just ran and I am about 1/2 mile from a tower and AT&T is my carrier.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Thanks for posting this.

4M is a bit light but should work, but it doesn't give you any headroom.

Can you also run this test? https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

It gives a more accurate result. You are looking for an A or B rating.

Len's comments on the RATE and FPS are very valuable as well.

Mike

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

When you say my network data rate. Your referring to what AT&T gives me on 4-G & 5-G correct ?

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike here my test result using Waveform. On 5G not WiFi.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Ouch.

F is not good and that is helping to tell a story. The question is where is it really falling apart.

Is that what is says from the a PC on the Radio network side?

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I am going to test this again in town on my IPhone I set the Rate to 1 and FPS to 5 I did some speed tests today close to some 5 G Cell towers AT&T told me they could not tell me what my download and upload speeds are today. But I do have a 50 GB a month data plan on the phone over that they throttle me down to 2 G But when I was in town today while parked 800 feet from a tower I was getting some decent speeds. Here are some screen shots. The one data test at 96.6 is 8 miles away the slower one close to my home QTH.

Thank you.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I am still getting an F on my test even though I got decent download. Now this test is over AT&T 5-G in town. I live about 1 hour north of downtown Austin TX And about 40 minutes from Flex HQ.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I finally got a good tower and a good signal on 5G with full bars and with turning down the FPS rate and DAX rate to one. Helped so it will connect and not freeze up in some locations but in other places it will. AT&T said this is based on tower usage.

Thank you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.