Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What to do about TX delay on non Flex radios with PGXL

I am trying to get the "B" ports on my PGXL and TGXL setup with my back up radios. The PGXL says is needs a TX delay and I have mine set at 50ms (which is more than needed). For those of you that use other radios to key up your amp, what are you doing about a TX delay? I am running a Hermes Lite 2 and a Yaesu FTdx10 that I would like to get working. The FTdx10 doesn't have a transmit delay feature (non that I am aware of) and I haven't found any type of delay in Thetis software yet for the Hermes.

I see many hams using different radios with the PGXL so I am wondering what they are doing about the TX delay (or are they just ignoring it).

Burch

K4QXX

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Each radio will be a bit different. Some radios do not have a TX Delay.

50ms is a good starting point if your radio has the ability to delay sending RF after PTT is initiated.

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭

So, in regard to the FTDX10 - how does one use it with the PGXL?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I don't think that Yaesu has TX Delay settings which is a very unfortunate on their behalf. Every other HF radio has this parameter.

So, the best way to do this is with the Heil FS-2 Foot Switch which you can find at DX Engineering.

One RCA connector goes to the amplifier and the other to the Radio. It is a sequencing foot switch that put the amplifier into transmit before the radio.

• Joe Bales
    Joe Bales Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023

Mike, your solution works fine for SSB, but what does one do if they want to use CW with a key, or N1MM or a digital mode, or VOX for SSB with a rig like a Yaesu that doesn't have TX Delay setting?

Joe

• Mike-VA3MW

For N1MM, you can set it. Googling turns this up:

PTT Delay

This is an important aspect of PTT operation. Some amplifiers are slower than many radios, so if the radio begins to transmit as soon as PTT is asserted, it may result in hot-switching of the amplifier’s internal transmit/receive relays, which can result in damage. In addition, for VHF operation, preamplifiers located at the antenna may need to be properly sequenced to avoid damage from transmitted RF.

• In the case of PTT via serial or parallel port, this delay is set in the Configurer, on the Hardware tab, when configuring a port for PTT. Note that for a serial port, you will only see this option if you have first selected PTT on either RTS or DTR.
    • For Winkeyer PTT, set this delay (called lead-time in Winkeyer parlance) on the Winkeyer tab of the Configurer. This affects both hand-sent CW and stored messages. You will probably find that any value over 20 milliseconds (probably enough for most amps) throws off your hand-sent keying.

For hand sending CW and the radio does not have a TX Delay, the only remaining choice is to purchase a radio that supports it (yea, I know, not a great answer). But, seriously, there is no excuse for an OEM radio to not have a TXDelay setting.

• Roger that, yet Yaesu figured out how to build one. Jeez...

Thanks for your help Mike! I ordered the foot switch you recommended from the UK...it's in the 'Royal Mail.'

• Joe Bales
    Joe Bales Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike. And Phillip quite funny "Roger that, yet Yaesu figured out how to build one. Jeez..." good one.

• Joe Bales
    Joe Bales Member ✭✭

So, it appears that the QSK delay time which is found in the CW Sertting menu setting of my Yaesu FTDX101MP does work in all modes. I will have to revisit using the 101 along with the PGXL and TGXL and set the delay to 30 msec. Typically I use my Flex 6600 most of the time.

• Alas, that handy feature is not available with the FTDX10, it's a $3500 upgrade.

• k0oks
    k0oks Member ✭✭

Check the Power Genius user manual section 3.4.2.3. This is covered in there. No additional equipment is required.

You feed the PTT into the amp, and then take the output PTT into the radio.

• Thank you Joe. The PSK delay should perform the same function with the FTDX10, one hopes. Has it worked in your shack?

Also, for those using WSJT-X there is a setting for TX delay under file/settings/advanced. Of course this won't help with voice or CW.

Mike, I received the foot switch that you recommended, thanks for the tip. Looks like I won't need it for the Yaesu now, with the info Joe provided, but it may be useful down the road with other radios.

Nice find Joe, I also read that in the PGXL manual since my earlier post. It's a very useful feature that accomplishes what the FS-2 does - but will work in all modes.

I appreciate all your help guys!

Phillip

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.