Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommended alternative for the Sunon KD1208PHB1 case fans.

Options

My 6500 has started to make the worn bearing noise on both case fans. Seems like the KD1208's are now discontinued/obsolete and no longer available on Mouser or Digikey.

Digikey is recommending the Delta Electronics with similar spec.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/delta-electronics/AFB0812VHB-F00/1014378

Specs look good, so unless anyone has any recommendation on another brand / model I will go ahead and order a couple of these.

Just wanted to check with y'all before I pull the trigger.

Richard W4/G7EIX

Best Answer

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Quick update. The Delta's work great. I replaced the pair. The only thing I had to do was get some new rubber mounts as the blue ones supplied in the radio were not suitable as these replacement fans did not have the gaps where the mounting holes were.

I bought some Noctua Rubber mounts with the extended tails so i could pull them through easily.

Noctua NA-SAV4, Silicone Anti-Vibration Fan Mount Set (16-pack, Brown)

Radio nice and quiet again and cooling as expected.

Attached is the list from Digikey which includes the connectors and pins.

Richard W4/G7EIX

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe wait for mike or put in a help desk ticket to be sure the fan speed control will work.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi Al,

Yes, I found those during my search - but the delivery time is 10 days to two weeks for them. One fan is now 'stalling' its got that bad, so I was hoping to place an order today and have them within a few days. Pulling it and lubing it has not fixed the issue.

I'll order the recommended Delta replacements and also a couple from eBay. That way I at least have an option if the ones from Digi-Key are no good.

Richard W4/G7EIX

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Good plan, a number of us bought fans to have on hand just in case. My 6700 was hit by lighting last year and I sold my spares. Someone might have a few to sell but probably couldn't get them to you much quicker anyway. At least you will have backups.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6600 SSDR V3.4.21

TGXL 1.1.16

PGXL 3.7.28

Win10 Pro V2004

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited July 2023
    Options

Make sure you do get the correct fan or check with support.

If the Fan you get does not spin up correctly and provide the correct RPM to the power module, the radio will not boot. This is to ensure the safety of the FPGA.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.