Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two PA, same band, different antenna?

Options
DL4RCE
DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am struggling with a problem.

Setup: FLex6600, TGXL SO2R, PGXL, AG 2x8.

I want to have PA1 (ANT1/ANT1) and PA2 (ANT2/ANT2) on the same band but different antennas. E.g. PA1 ANT1=Beam (20m, AG Port 3) and PA2 ANT2=Loop(20m, AG Port 5)

...but it looks like this. Is it even possible what I want to do?

73 de Volker

Best Answer

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is possible by checking the Disable Band Protection box on the AG 2X8 switch Configure Device screen. I have done this in receive-only situations to compare receive signals on two different antennas simultaneously. I have not tried to transmit on one of the antennas with this setup. So, depending on your antenna setup and radio settings it may be possible to damage the radio's receiver by transmitting.

Answers

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Rick, thanks. For me it is also "rcv-only", I think it should be fine with "FDX" disabled.

Volker

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

As long as you do not have two QRO signals into the switch from the amps at the same time. There is risk of damage to the switch so there is a disclaimer when disabling the protection.

Dave wo2x

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave, I am only planning to use PGXL & AG2x8. Should be fine since there are no 2 QRO signals at the same time. I tried without FDX and everything works. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards

Volker

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

Rick,

I want to do the same thing and have just gone through every screen I can in the utility but can't see the "AG 2X8 switch Configure Device screen"

Could you or someone else, post a screen shot for me please?

Thanks

Robin W7YED

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Go to Setup, "configure device" and on the bottom "Disable Band protection".

73 de Volker

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Volker,

Thanks, I must be missing something really basic. when I open the AG utility, I connect to the AG 2x8. At that point I see the following

Then if I click the cog on the top I get the Settings Dialog but I don't see a setup or anything that has "protection"

What am I missing?

Thanks

Robin W7YED

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What kind of Software is this? I am using a Windows Client Version: 3.1.5 from 4o3a.

Volker

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Robin is sharing the V4 AG software which I don't think it has been released yet.

The AG Alpha team is still shacking out kinks.

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

4.1.1 is on the 4O3A website for download now as a public release.

https://4o3a.com/images/downloads/antenna_genius/windows_application/AntennaGeniusUtility_v4.1.1.exe

Rich

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

And the Inband option should be under advanced. I’d email 4O3A to ensure there are no issues using Inband with your specific configuration as it can cause damage if you don’t have correct isolation.

Dave wo2x

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I continuously run a similar configuration where I use same band diversity reception (6700 2 receivers) through the AG 2X8 on different antennas controlled by ver 3.1.5. However, I am using a PGXl for an amplifier on both channels which makes it impossible to transmit QRO into both simultaneously. I have never had an issue. However, I do not use FDX so have never stressed a receiver.

Bill AB7AA

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the comments.

I'm also running a PGXL and I'm also not running FDX. I just want to be able to RX on one antenna on Port B while TX on another from Port A. Is my takeaway here that I need to downgrade to 3.1.5 to get the option that Volker is talking about?

Dave are you saying that I need to set an 'inband' option? This is what I see under the advanced option but there is no useful explanation of what this is in the manual...

all is says in the manual, very cryptically is:

" Set your Inband port. The chosen port will show only in band antennas that will be removed from other ports. "

Thanks

Robin W7YED

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, I guess I cannot help then. @tartanlatte does it make sense to upgrade?

Volker

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Volker,

I can't tell you, mine was upgraded when I installed the App so all I know is 4.1.1, I have no experience with anything else.

I'll ask you the same question back, if the "Disable band protection" has been removed in 4.1.1 to do this should I downgrade to 3.1.5 that S/W that you are on?

Thanks

R

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Good question, I need this functionality and will not upgrade then. Not sure if the new utility will have some advantages. Currently I am satisfied with my setup.

Volker

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

I find it strange that this would be removed from the S/W. I guess is that I should open a Help Ticket with Flex...

Unless anyone has a better solution...

Robin W7YED

• tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    Options

I did open a helpdesk ticket and I can confirm that the current S/W DOES NOT have the ability to disable band protection so RX on one antenna and TX on the same band on a different antenna cannot be done... This either seems to be a regression in 4.1 or a deliberate omission.

I successfuly managed to downgrade to 3.5.1 and that setting is available and I was able to achieve this scenario..

Screen shots enclosed to show the setting.

Robin W7YED

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, thanks for verifying this. I will not upgrade. Hope everything works for you now as expected.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.