Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone Successfully Running with Smartlink into a TP-Link DECO MESH network?

Options
Bill
Bill Member ✭✭

I have a 6400 running just fine within the LAN in my second home, but cannot get SmartLink to successfully support WAN access via SmartLink from outside. I suspect configuration settings for my network are the problem, and hoping that someone is successfully running a near identical setup and might help out. The network continues to work fine in every other aspect, including several other remote access appliances and systems.

SmartLink is the only problem.

Flex 6400 running Ver 3.4.24 software, accessed with both SmartSDR for MacOS and SmartSDR for Windows successfully on the LAN.

My network:

Kinetic/Windstream cable internet access at 200MbS

Cable Modem: Hitron CODA-45 Modem (runs in bridge mode only according to manufacturer and ISP)

LAN: four TP-Link DECO M9-Plus MESH devices (up to date software from TP-Link), one primary DECO as router using a single ethernet connection to the modem. All DECOs are up to date and working fine for multiple devices (both wireless and ethernet) on the network including multiple streaming devices, weather station, remote WAN access to Lennox HVAC system, remote access to Hot water system, weather station etc.

I configured the DECO router for NAT port forwarding: ext.: 21000 => Int: 4994 and ext: 22000 => int: 4993. uPNP is enabled.

I have reviewed the network Smartlink Youtube videos and the SmartSDR manual in detail. There is no access to the cable modem, nor any user configuration capability. The ISP has not been helpful in multiple calls (one rep did not know what "bridging" is).

When I run the SmartSDR for MacOS SmartLink test from inside the LAN I get the following report:

I don't know what to do at this point. I have a home setup for a 6300 which runs fine both internally and remotely via SmartLink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Bill

KK4C

Answers

• Greg W8XY
    Greg W8XY Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Bill -
    One of the radios on our SmartLink account is connected to a similar network and its behavior has puzzled me for a couple months. Did you make any progress on yours?
    Thanks,
    Greg W8XY
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    Options

greg,

evrrything is working fine now. But after slmost a year, i cannot recall what i did to succeed. I believe that I found that the Deco M9 device did not function properly as the DHCP server and bridge modem. I switched to a dedicated Modem/DHCP up and everything is working fine now. So my only suggestion is to find a dedicated DHCP modem and use the Deco devices as Access Points.

Hope this helps…

73s,

Bil

KK4C

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I use the Deco MESH but I use the MESH in Bridge Mode as it is not my main router.

If you already have a Router, then you want the MESH in Bridge mode so that the management of the network is handled by the main router.

You set that in the Primary unit and turn off the Router functions.

Essentially, based on what you said, you are double NAT’d. Changing to Bridge mode should resolve that issue.

• Greg W8XY
    Greg W8XY Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Bill and Mike -

Here's my deal - here in SC I have a Verizon modem providing Internet and DCHP duties with the Deco mesh devices (X20's I believe) in access point mode. 6400 is wired into one of the mesh devices in a separate shop. It is assigned a fixed IP.

The radio seems to work perfectly when I run SmartSDR while on the local network. I have UPnP enabled on the modem and manually forwarded ports 4993-UDP and 4994-TCP through it. The radio registers Smartlink connection without complaint and the test button gives me a green light. From a remote location, the radio shows up as available, tests green, but will not connect. Two other radios on the account work fine.

Another interesting symptom is that the test button mouse-over shows that UPnP ports fail and forwarded ports pass. The other two radios on the account show all four ports pass.

Any advice? Thanks,
    Greg W8XY
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You may wish to open a support ticket.

• Greg W8XY
    Greg W8XY Member ✭✭
    Options

Support ticket (#65235) submitted

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.