Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The Flex is a slam dunk ... for me.

Options
frc2302
frc2302 Member ✭✭

I figured since most folks only post when they have an issue to solve, it would be nice to chime in just to say thank you.

I am an IT professional whose entire life is spent on computers. I also live in a small house on a small city lot, and my "shack" is my tiny office. It turns out that the best place for a transceiver and the most comfortable place for the human are rarely the same.

On HF, I operate nearly 100% digital modes. I do not want to be tied to my desk in front of the radio, any more than I would accept having to sit in a datacenter to use my computer! I want to sit on the patio, or in the livingroom, or even in bed with a laptop, and operate my radio. The tranceiver, however, would like to be someplace cool, and as close as possible to its power source, antenna feed, and grounding ingress - such as the basement - and certainly not taking up precious real estate in my small living space.

I've spent years trying to approximate a remotely operated station with a more traditional tranceiver and the usual lashup of open source software, COM port emulators, serial and USB cables, sound card interfaces, remote desktop, blood, sweat, and tears. It kinda sorta worked (except for remote audio, which never worked). At best, it was always a second-class experience - never easy, reliable, or satisfying.

The Flex is designed from the ground up to work the way I do - networked. SmartSDR, while it does have its foibles, is exemplary and representative of high quality modern software interfaces, development, and distribution practices - not something I take for granted in ham radio, to say the least. Compared to the old way of hacking together multiple pieces of maybe-maintained software and a tangle of cables, the simplicity is bliss.

Yes, there is definitely still a place for knobs as a human interface, and the flexibility of separating the Maestro from the chassis - by inches or miles! - is a killer feature. Truly the best of both worlds.

For my purposes, and in my experience, this feels to me like the future of ham radio. I particularly bet that folks new to the hobby, who grew up accustomed to networked devices and good software UI design, will find this platform comfortable and compelling.

Thank you for advancing the state of the art.

Comments

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    Options

I can only subscribe to your opinion. My Flex rest in a cool place (the basement) and my desk is tidy. The simple pleasure of a radio without cables and reception without humming noise in the background. A Mestro is planned but I am so good without it nevertheless. I love the huge screen space the seamless integration with whatever software I need and especially the FREEDOM. Going everywhere with my iPad and when a required DX comes up just connect and grab it. No matter on what : FT8, SSB or CW. It is hard to explain this feeling to people who are still tied to their desks and their knobs. But future is coming and Flex is a step ahead. Thank you! 73 from Bavaria

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Thanks for your kind words! I shared them with the entire company.

I know they will appreciate hearing them.

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

I forgot to mention that your manuals are among the best I've ever seen for any technology product. That was a factor in my decision to buy a Flexradio in the first place. I recognize that good documentation is a discipline all its own, and yours is outstanding.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.