Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ethernet Occasionally Loses Connection

Scott_W0SJE
Scott_W0SJE Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Networking
Hello-
I am operating the Flex-6400 using a direct ethernet connection to a laptop running Windows 10.
This generally works well, but I do get "occasional" disconnects where SmartSDR 3.3.33 can't find the radio.
I usually unplug the ethernet and plug back in and it fixes it, but it’s annoying to be sure.
I don’t have an ethernet port on my laptop and am using a USB-C adapter.
Any thoughts on specs for that adapter or something else that might be causing the issue?
Thanks.

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

I would check to see if there are any relevant power options affecting operation.

Some of these adapters, when their properties are accessed via Device Manager, have Power Management. If yours does, see if it is set to allow the computer to power it down.

Another possibility is that laptop power options can obtain a setting like Network Connectivity. If your does, see if it is set to disconnect from network under certain conditions. Any USB settings in power management should also be checked.

If these are not the cause, check on-line for the adapter make/model and user comments. Some of these products, especially but not limited to Anker and Ugreen, are known for issues like yours.

• Scott_W0SJE
    Scott_W0SJE Member ✭✭
    Thank you Erik.

I did locate some of those power off and disconnect settings and disabled them.
    I also ran the network troubleshooter and got an error that the ethernet port did not have an IP address.
    The brand adapter I'm using is called "UNI" and I'm highly suspicious of it.
    Can you recommend a good one?
  • Erik Carling EI4KF

I'd like to see an American answer to that question because products available here may be bettered in USA. But, TP-Link would be a choice to consider:

I have several TP-Link networking products and they are all very good. But take any local Flex user recommendations, if you get any, over mine.

• Scott_W0SJE
    Scott_W0SJE Member ✭✭
    Thanks I will consider that.
    I thought I might have a correlation with my virus protection firewall, but it's back on with no issues.
  • Scott_W0SJE
    Scott_W0SJE Member ✭✭

I got the TP-Link adapter, but still getting dropouts.

The error says "smartlink has lost connection to the radio" and I'm starting to think this is a software issue.

I installed new USB drivers and running smartlink 3.4.24.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If the connection is still direct between the laptop and the flex, smartlink should not be involved .

• Erik Carling EI4KF

SSDR is at 3.4.24 - I am sure this is his meaning, not smartlink. Also a software issue would be where I'd look next. Personally, though not to everyone's preference, I would do a fresh install of Windows 11. These days it is not hard to back up everything beforehand and SSDR settings are retained by keeping a copy of C:\Users\computer-name\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems.

Then follow the ethernet max performance guide at https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-Maximum-Performance

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.