Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Intermittent loss of comms with radio

Options

Set up is Flex 6500, Maestro, Computer W10, Network switch connected to radio, computer and Maestro and linked back to Router.

I am experiencing intermittent loss of comms with radio.

In an effort to isolate the problem I have eliminated the network switch and separately tried connecting the radio directly to the computer and then to the Maestro using a different CAT cable each time. The fault happens under both options.

At some indeterminate interval, half an hour, an hour or more, I note the AF start to break up then the green light on the front of the radio begins to flash and my call sign entered in the window on the radio front panel goes out then reappears after which the green light continues to flash then become continuous as normal indicating the radio is ready for use again. The Maestro will freeze or change back to the starting screen showing the radio ready to reconnect. The computer seems to re-establish itself but shows an error message stating that the computer and radio have lost communication. it is impossible to send any proper CW however, just garbage.

From these tests the radio seems to be the common factor but would appreciate advice on any further tests, checks or front panel display readings that I can do to establish the cause.

Mal G3PDH

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mal, I would submit a help desk ticket.

• Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Further to my earlier posting regarding loss of comms with the radio (6500)

I have submitted a ticket.

Have also carried out further checks. After losing comms between the radio and computer they both restore to normal operation on their own after about 1 min and continue to operate. All seems ok until the next time it randomly happens. I simultaneously monitored the supply voltage with 'Flex Meter' using the graph facility and there is no change in supply voltage during the period of losing comms.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mal... from your description, it seems like the radio is going into a reset condition for some reason. Possibly RF feedback? ?? The Help Desk should be able to take you through more diagnostics to discover the source.

• Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Don, This happening in RX mode, no transmissions involved. Strangely, over 4 observed failures it seems to be happening at around 35 minutes intervals which is odd but probably just a coincidence. It happens with either the PC or Maestro connected directly to the radio. Anyway, will see what Flex have to suggest next week. radio/SSDR software version is 3.4.23 latest.

Mal G3PDH

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The Link.Local test (single cable, nothing else) is a great test. Next steps is for our support team to debug this.

• Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike, Have carried out factory reset and seems to have fixed the problem. Reported this as support ticket update and will confirm in next few days if problem has completely gone.

Mal G3PDH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.