Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to exit Low BW mode?

James Charlton
James Charlton Member ✭✭

I set my Maestro, while it was operating in Multiflex with my 6600M radio, to the "low BW" mode. That worked as described in the Maestro notes. Now I can't seem to restore the Maestro to normal bandwidth mode.

The notes don't really give an explicit procedure, they just say that it is not persistent. I took that to mean that restarting the Maestro would clear low BW. I've tried restarting both the Maestro and the radio, multiple times, but the low BW modes persists. Both the Maestro and radio are running V3.4.23.

What an I missing?

Regards,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2023

Every time you reconnect to a radio, it gives you the option to pick low bandwidth mode. If you don't pick Low Bandwidth Mode, the you do not start in Low Bandwidth Mode.

Is there some indication that you are still in Low Bandwidth Mode?

Low Bandwidth mode is only available on a SmartLink connection.

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭

Mike,

Thank you for the fast response, but this appears to be a case of operator error (I'm the operator ;-{).

Originally, I was trying the low BW mode just to see what it did and how much the BW was reduced. I noted the Total RX BW was between 1500 - 3000Kbps using the Maestro Network screen in the normal mode with two waterfalls displayed. I switched to the low BW mode and noted that that the Total RX BW dropped to 400-500kbps. Only one waterfall displayed. That was fine.

To restore normal operation, I rebooted the Maestro and the radio. But when they came up there was only one waterfall displayed on the Maestro (the radio operated normally with two waterfalls). I checked the Total RX bandwidth on the Maestro and found it was still at the reduced rate. This led me to believe I was still operating in the low bw mode and I sent you my question.

(Your response arrived)

Preparing to respond to your email I checked everything again and noticed one little thing - I had never attempted to open a second waterfall using the up-arrow at the bottom of the Maestro screen. I was aware of that arrow but did not press it.

Pressing that opened up the second waterfall on the Maestro and kicked the Total RX BW up to its normal values. It is now, and always has been, operating properly.

I'm sorry to take up your time, but I sure do appreciate your fast response.

Regards,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

No need to apologize and you are not wasting my time at all.

Questions like yours actually help in my education. I then have to check and see how it works. I had never used that mode, so it forced me to play with it.

"There is no **** question" :) Glad you asked it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.