Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Detecting Radio Usage (Rx & Tx) Using Raspberry Pi Pico W

I'm putting together a Pi project to detect the usage of our club's 6400M (remotely).

We'd like to see how much members use it, and how much transmitting it actually does. The software side I can handle, but having read the manual, I'm still not sure where to pick up the relevant inputs from the radio. The Pi Pico has max 3.3v inputs for ADC pins. Can somebody give me a quick steer please?

Go easy, I live exclusively in the software world!

I only have access to the physical radio once every two weeks, so I want to be able to test on a test rig at home.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Why not use the software API to pick up that information? You can use an Internet connection to talk to the radio. Libraries for the API are available for multiple platforms and operating systems. That way physical access is not an issue.

You will need a VPN or other such secure access to the network the radio is on (ssh tunnel also comes to mind).

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

You can't ssh to the radio, but you can connect directly to the radio on Port 4992 and see exactly what is going on. It does send status messages all the time.

Anna goes over how to do it here:

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

ssh was only mentioned as a tunnel, Mike, not a means of connecting. You certainly can telnet in over said ssh tunnel :-)

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If you use the API over TCP/IP, you won't need any physical connections to the radio. Does the Pi Pico have an Ethernet connector?

• XVF
    XVF Member
    Hi. Thanks everyone.

I did not know there was an API! I was looking forward to doing a little ground-up Pi Pico project for fun, but things never work out quite the way you expect them to...

The Pi Pico W is a $10 board that has WiFi but no Ethernet, but I see from the above video (which is excellent by the way) that Annaliese has a Python project on Github that detects Rx and Tx states and turns on and off a physical 'On Air' sign - perfect for me to copy and butcher!

I wanted to use MQTT pub/sub and Node-RED to provide a usage dashboard for a bit of fun, so I'm looking forward to having a play. I notice that both of these feature in the video also! GNU Radio blocks too...

Every time I have a great idea, it takes but minutes to find out that someone else has already been there.
    I must be getting old. Thanks again.

:)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.