Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500

seanas3
seanas3 Member, Unconfirmed
So I found out today that the SDR License is bundled with the Radio. It's kind of a moot now. But I was bequeathed a Flex 6500, so when I connected the Radio to the computer it informed me I needed to buy a license which I did, for I think like $200. How could I have been notified that the existing radio already had a licensed associated with it, and how can I get that license transferred over to me? --KG7RHH

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Every radio comes with a license for some version of the software. The $200 is to upgrade to a later major version for example from version 1.xx to version 2.xx or 3.xx, or 2.xx to 3.xx. There is no charge to upgrade within major versions for example 3.29 to 3.33.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@seanas3

When you downloaded the software, you likely download V3. but, you will notice on the web site, there is the latest v1, 2 and v3.

Even if you downloaded V3, in the radio chooser, there is the ability to show the Max version the radio is licensed for. But, without asking you would not have noticed it.

Knowing your Max version, it was likely V2, you could have downloaded v2 to your PC, installed and run it and you would have been good to go.

For others reading this, you could have opened a support ticket with us and we would have gotten back to you pretty quickly.

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.

• seanas3
    seanas3 Member, Unconfirmed
    edited January 2023
    Thank you for the feedback, being new to Flex, I didn't realize how the licenses worked and had made a poor assumption. However, with that said paying $200 (license) for a $2500 radio is not a bad deal. I am happy with the radio and still working on all the features with digital modes and this radio. Thank You.

P.S. I do not recall seeing that image posted above. When I downloaded the SmartSDR, it just informed me I needed to buy a license,
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If the radio contained V2 and V3 (the latest major version) was downloaded to the pc that message appears. Lots to learn about the radio. Any questions, just ask. The crowd here is pretty helpful.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.