Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 (non M) User Guide yet?

I see posts going back to 2018 from folks asking for a user guide for the 6400 (non-M) and one from another post saying it wasn't ready yet, but it's 4+ years later and still nothing? I've pulled down the 6400M manual but to a new user, I'm not sure what applies to the M or non-M. As unpopular as it is for some folks to open a manual, I'm certain I'm not going to get very far without it. A buddy of mine set it up for me since he has the M model and knew what to do but since then I've had enough air time on it to know I need to learn more.

Any link to a manual or documentation on it would be greatly appreciated.

Glen - KE7FD

Best Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Since the software has all the controls and the 6400/6600 have none, you want the SmartSDR user guide.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

All of those questions are answered in the SmartSDR User Guides. Easily found on the FlexRadio website. Just click "Support" at the top of the page, then click "Documentation" on the menu that opens. Then select the type of document you are looking for...

There are several versions of the SmartSDR user guide, for version 2.x, version 3.x and probably even version 1.x (long obsolete). I am using SmartSDR version 2.8.1, but the current user guide is for v2.6.0 I believe.

If you can't find them, please post again.

73, Craig KØCF

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi

You may want to refer to the 6400M/6600M User guide and section 14 that describes the use of the AGC-T which would be a similar tool to an RF gain on a SuperHet radio.

Direct sampling radios have a bit different RF input structure.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

The 6400/6600 hardware user guide is on the FlexRadio web site:

It is called a "Reference Manual", but covers all connections, etc.

73, Craig KØCF

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭

Thanks Craig. While this looks like it addresses all things hardware, it lacks actual usage material. For my Yaesu radios and others I've had, there are directions on how to use that radio. For example, RF Gain. Where is it, how does the operator use it to adjust the incoming signals prior to making other adjustments? Case in point: To leverage the decoding found in HRD (DM780), the squelch in the decode process needs to be adjusted so the operator can set the decode level above the incoming signals. Otherwise the software can't tell the difference between noise and signal.

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭

I'll check it out, thanks. I was skirting around these and instead was looking for the customary "Users Manual" I'm accustomed to.

G

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭

Dang that's right, direct sampling. I'm still getting used to not having knobs to fiddle with. I'm going to print off the SmartSDR user guide provided I can find an economical way to do it.

Thanks,

Glen

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

I had a copy of the 6400M/6600M manual spiral bound with flexible plastic protective covers three years ago. I find it very convenient to use and refer to it fairly often.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

I find it much more convenient to just use the PDF file on the PC. Adobe Acrobat Reader provides a great search tool that finds any topic very quickly, and lets you step through each occurrence of your search term. Having a printed copy for initial reading works well, too, but it's so much easier to find things with the PDF.

73, Craig KØCF

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭

I'm in both camps, printed and pdf. My local FedEx/Kinkos wants something like $120 to print and spiral bind the 222 pages, both sides of the page. I'm still looking around for a better price and if there isn't, pdf will have to do. And yes, pdf has its own advantages.

Thanks,

Glen

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

If you print it in black and white you should be able to do it for about $30, spiral bound with covers on it. I've done it a few times.

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭

Thanks. I've elected to go the tablet route to retain the color features and to have access to all my manuals.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.