Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSB Audio not transmitted on my new Mac mini.

Has anyone had trouble transmitting SSB audio on my Flex-6600 using the Mac mini with SmartSDR? The audio displays on the level meter but no compression or RF power is displayed. The SSB receiver works and CW transmit and receive work.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Try rebooting the radio and see if that resolves it.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

Mike,

Thanks for the idea. I did and the problem still exists. I also tried a factory reset and rebooting the router. I even tried connecting the radio directly to the Mac mini.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

BTW Mike I submitted a help ticket for this including a video.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The other thought is to make sure you are using a different MIC profile when you change SmartSDR Clients.

Start with the SmartSDR MAC default profile.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

Mike,

Thanks for the idea. I just tried the default global, transmit and mic profiles for the Mac and still no SSB transmission. My MacBook Pro transmits SSB but my new Mac mini doesn't and so far I cannot see anything different between them. I will gladly try any other ideas.

• Mike-VA3MW

The next step is to figure out if it is the radio or the client. Since you only have 1 radio, is there anyway you can test from another computer client?

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

Mike,

I am not sure what you mean. I am able to send SSB audio on my Flex 6600 successfully by connecting either my MacBook Pro or my Surface Pro 8 running windows 11. I can ask a friend if I can connect to his Flex 6500 remotely with the Mac mini to see if the same problem exists.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

From Manual, Section 8 - Common Issues:

No TX signal when transmitting

In case you can’t get a signal out of your Radio, please check the following:

• If you can’t get TX audio out of your Radio in SSB, try to change the Microphone input source from Mac to something else and then back to Mac (the button above PROC in the Radio Control pannel)
    • If you are using the included FT8 or RTTY Tool, double check if DAX is enabled. This should be automatically the case when hitting the RX button inside the FT8 / RTTY Tool but you might have turned off DAX manually.
    • For FT8, if you can’t transmit, check the Low-Cut and High-Cut values in the Control Panel. For FT8 you need at least a Low-Cut of 300 and a High-Cut of 3000.
    • Also, when using the internal Tools, check if DAX Streaming is turned off. This is only needed when using external software. The DAX Streaming settings can be found under Radio → DAX Streaming.
    • Try to switch to any other TX Profile (the button above the TUNE and MOX buttons in the Radio Control pannel)
    • Ensure that you have the latest App version (check on the Mac App Store) and the latest Radio Firmware (check under Radio → Flex-6xxx Settings → Radio Tab and Check for Firmware update. Keep in mind that you can only update to the latest licensed version)
    • Power cycle your Radio
    • If you still can’t get a signal out of your Radio, please see if your Mac Firewall is switched on and try to turn it temporary off. You can do this by starting the “System Preferences” (gear Icon) on your Mac. Go to Security & Privacy and select the Firewall tab. If the firewall is on, try to turn it off. After this change, better restart your Mac and try again. In general, the App works even with your Firewall enabled but if the solution to your problem is, to turn it off, better investigate in your Firewall settings which may be changed so that you can turn your firewall back on.
    • Reset your App Client ID using SmartSDR → Preferences → Extended tab and the “Reset Radio Client ID” button.
    • Reset your App settings using SmartSDR → Preferences → Extended tab and the “Restore default settings” button. Please quit and restart the App after this.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭

Dan,

Thanks for the information! I finally got my 6600 to transmit SSB using my Mac mini for the first time since it arrived last week! The last step worked!

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Dan, I rarely use a mic but tried to today and ran in to same issue as N0BF with Mac version. The last item on the list restored things.

Andy K3UK

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Do we know WHY this issue occurs ? I applied the reset Radio Default Settings fix few days ago and saved the profile that worked. Today, I have no mic audio transmitted (using a mic connected to a Mac) . Off now to do the reset and see if it fixes things again

Andy K3UK