Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 Unexpected Shutdown

I have a 6600, running with a windows 10 pc. Here’s my problem. On various bands where the SWR is less then 2:1, the radio will intermittently shut down immediately upon keying. So wondering if this is likely an RFI in the shack issue, a ground loop issue, or improper grounding? Would appreciate any ideas on how to start troubleshooting ?

73 PaulEckerw2eck

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Paul,

Do you get one of these error codes?

Al / NN4ZZ

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Paul,

It is not likely to be a ground loop as they only tend to distort audio.

The most likely culprit is RFI. Try transmitting at low power into a dummy load to see if the problem persists. If not, it is probably RFI.

If you can determine that it is RF getting in somewhere, you need to know what is being affected. Does the radio itself shut off or does SmartSDR shut down?

If it is the radio, you need to answer Al's question, above.

If it is SmartSDR, then the RF is probably getting into your computer. Start by disconnecting as much as possible from your computer until the problem goes away. The last thing removed is the most likely candidate. In my case, it was getting in on the USB lines. I had to put ferrites on the lines in and out of my USB hubs.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Paul,

If you suspect RFI, Grounding, or voltage problems I have some details on my web page about these issues and solutions. Just scroll down a bit and look at the links on my web page. But the radio error codes are a good start.

http://www.nn4zz.com/Flex6600.htm

Al / NN4ZZ

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@W2ECK

About 90% of our support calls are related to voltage drop/brownout when the radio shuts down in TX. It is the first thing you want to check.

There are various ways to test this, but with the Radio set to a 100% tune carrier into a dummy load and you hit TX, then you have a voltage brownout. This can be caused by corrosion on the Power Pole connectors and the simple fact of plugging and unplugging them a few times will clean off the corrosion. It doesn't take much corrosion to cause 1 ohm of resistance.

Another way to test this is to us FRStack to monitor the voltage in the radio, put the radio into TX with the tune power at 1% and then slowly increase the tuner percentage and see if the FRStack voltage reading starts to drop.

I had this happen to me last week. My full load TX voltage was down to 10.4V. When I did the power pole exercise 4 or 5 times, my full load TX voltage is now 13.8V down from 13.9V in RX.

This is the first place I would look.

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the TX tune test and at 100% tune power, the voltage is down to 11.24 fm 13.48v. So although the 6600 did not shut down due to a brown out, I am experiencing a drop. So if you are only seeing a .1 drop and I have a 2.24 drop, I do have an issue that should be fixed, albeit it doesn't appear to be the cause of the radio shutting down.

Tnx for the help

73 Paul w2eck

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Al- thanks for help

1) No, I did not notice the error code, Most times when the shutdown occurred, I was too ticked to think of noticing the error code. Thanks for the idea, I will note it at the next shutdown.

2) thank you for the link to your page for RFI, etc. problems and solutions

Len- also thanks for your help.

1) the radio is shutting down, not SSDR

So my next step is to take note of the Error code and I will post what I find.

tnx & 73

Paul w2eck

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

If I recall correctly, the voltage spec is 13.8V +/- 15%.

If that is correct then 13.8v*0.85=11.73V.

Your measurement of 11.24 is less than 11.73.

• KD0RC

Hi Paul, I think Mike diagnosed it correctly. The 2.24 V drop might not cause the rig to shut down every time, but is almost certainly the culprit.

I would work on that issue first. Your 13.48 V is a little low. I adjusted my power supply to 14.2 V. Others have suggested closer to 15.

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Gentlemen

I took off the 24'' long DC cable running from the 6600 to Astron VS-35M. Cleaned power poles with Deoxit and then plugged in and out a few times as Mike suggested. Increased voltage to the radio 14.1v. Then ran Tx into dummy load. At 100% power, I am seeing a voltage drop of 1.72v, from14.1v to 12.38v. So an improvement over the previous 2.24 drop, but...

So If Mike is only seeing a drop of .1v on Tx, then I still have an issue. Suggestions?? other then make a new dc cable, new power poles, larger gauge wire. What gauge ore you guys using?

73 Paul w2eck

• KD0RC

Hi Paul, the fuse is often responsible for a voltage drop. Take the fuse out and give it the same treatment as the connectors.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Paul,

One of the places that can result in a significant power drop is the internal fuse.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6600 Win10 Pro V2004 -- SSDR V3.3.33

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Took the fuse out of DC power **** and cleaned with no appreciable difference in the voltage drop. So I see now you meant the radio's internal fuse. So is that just a case of remove cover off radio and fuse is accessible?

73 Paul w2eck

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Just read section 7.1.1 in Hardware manual on fuse location and type. So cleaning it will be my next project. If no change after that will make a new cable.

73 Paul w2eck

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Gentlemen

Just had the shutdown occur again and the error code is 2 flashes = software crash and in fact the radio does reboot after 15 secs. So my error in previously saying "1) the radio is shutting down, not SSDR"

So it would appear next step is to hunt down the RFI that is getting onto PC ? and solve that problem.

tnx again Paul w2eck

• KD0RC

The software in the message refers to the software internal to the radio, not to SmartSDR.

I would submit a help desk ticket at this point.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

The software crash could be related to low voltage. A help desk ticket is fine but it is still a good idea to check/clean the fuse. Also if you have a DVM you could also check all 3 voltage points to determine if you have a voltage problem and where it is.

I have some notes on that here:

http://www.nn4zz.com/Flex6600.htm#Astron_Power_Supply

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Al & Len

Will follow both suggestions - thank you again. Will keep you posted.

73 Paul w2eck

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Yea keep track of your Voltages when you measure them so you can give them to the help Desk if it goes that far actually it's always a good idea to keep track of your voltages and tempratures and there locations anyway.

K9DUR has fine software for the Flex Radios and he has a very small nice little program that shows your voltage It does NOT however show the PA Voltage but doesn't have all the extra bagage of FRStack, here is the link to it.

https://k9dur.us/downloads/SDRMonitor/SDRMonitorSetup.exe

73's

Bret

WX7Y

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Bret

thanks for the suggestions

73 Paul w2eck

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Paul... just throwing my $0.02 -- I found one measurement that was helpful to both me and the HelpDesk was to use software like FRStack to show you the 'internal voltage' within the radio itself. This eliminates (from a troubleshooting POV) the resistance/loss in the cable between the power supply and the radio, and any losses at the powerpole jacks.

FRStack is free (AFAIK) and easy to install and gives you all kinds of other neat monitoring features as well.

2nd the comment about taking the cover off and checking the contacts on the internal fuse (30A in my 6500 -- yours may be different). Cleaning mine off with an emery board made a significant difference (albeit it had been 7 years at least since mine had been opened -- it needed a good cleaning :-))

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.