Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FR6600 & disturbances

Options
S58M DARE
S58M DARE Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Networking

I'm reaching out to the FlexRadio Community again for help because I'm having problems with "scratching" and "crunching" on reception in the Smart SDR program.

I have an FR6600 and a sufficiently powerful computer with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G graphics card and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X processor.

FR and my computer are connected to the network switch Linksys Gigabit switch LGS108-EU 8-port.

Since I have the aforementioned configuration for the SO2R part, I also downloaded the DXLOG logging program, which enables fast switching of Slice A and B.

In doing so, I noticed that from the transition from Slice A to B and vice versa, it happens that in two or three seconds when I'm RX on a certain Slice, I hear "scratching" and "crunching" in the headphones. This results in me not being able to accept the entire call sign or part of the report, so the correspondent has to repeat either the call sign or the call number.

This happening is also very disturbing for the ears.

I also notice that when I turn the VFO knob, every movement sounds like crackles and crunches in the headphones.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do to fix these problems?

73 Dare S58M

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Dare

This has been reported by some of our alpha testers (but not all).

I doubt it is a computer issue, but what you may be hearing at times is packets being dropped believe it or not. Can I recommend that you try testing on a 100mb/sec switch?

I know that doesn't make sense but it can help.

I had some similar issues on my PC with a 2.5G network card. I had a lot of packet loss on it on a 6ft cable to a 1G TP-Link switch. When I hard coded the NIC card in my PC to 1Gb/sec Full Duplex, the packet loss went away. I also had to make sure the drivers were current on my onboard NIC card.

I have enough 'stories' that seem to be telling me that 1G/sec switches can be more of the problem than the solution. This is why I recommend trying a 100Mb/sec switch as a test. It might resolve your issue immediately (and, it might not). But, it is worth trying.

Others may have some other ideas as well. But, it is certainly related to the LAN communications.

Let us know how you make out. 73 es Merry Xmas.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, do you think this issue is with a managed switch or unmanaged? I use a unmanaged switch and have never had this problem.

James

WD5GWY

• S58M DARE
    S58M DARE Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

I will try to connect the FR to the Router which is "slower", 100 MB. Maybe that will solve the problem. In any case, I will report it to you.

Mike, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2023. Also to everyone here on the forum.

73 Dare

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Trucker

Not sure, but thanks for sharing your experience. I use a few TP-Link unmanaged switches and I hear the odd blip, but nothing that is disturbing.

• S58M DARE
    S58M DARE Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mike, I'll report back if the issue is fixed.

• S58M DARE
    S58M DARE Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello, Mike.

First of all, let me wish you a happy and successful New Year 2023.

Now to my crackle problem on the FR.

Following your suggestion, I connected the Flex radio, PC, PA and Antenna genius to a 100 MB network switch. The reception interference has not improved and there is still crackling and popping in the headphones when switching from Slice A to Slice B.

I also connected the FR, switch, PC and 12 V power supply to the same electrical phase. This still did not make the disturbances go away.

But I would like to ask you the following, otherwise I have a main router from where I get internet (mobile internet). From this router, I have a wired connection to a 6-pole switcher, on which FR, PA, AG are connected). Is it possible that the main router is causing this interference?

Because it also happens that the indicator of the quality of the network connection (bottom right in the Smart SDR application) constantly changes from 1 to 5 bars.

Now I'm really in a big dilemma because these distractions are making it difficult for me to work in SO2R mode of work. because every time I go on a certain Slice for reception, part of the correspondent's call sign is "eaten up".

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

@S58M DARE

It might be time to open a support ticket for this one if you have not done so already. What you are hearing (I think) is not normal and maybe the support guys have dealt with it before.

That would be a good place to go to next.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.