Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High SWR Detected by Firmware

Lately I'm getting occasional High SWR alerts, checked my antenna OK, and a few days ago I opened a ticket and it seem to be a software related issue rather than a real SWR. I'm using a 6600 with a PGXL both software/firmware up to date as well as SmartSDR up to date as well. There is nothing in between the 6600 and the PGXL but a 3' new RG-213 coax.

After the ticket with support they recommend to operate the PGXL with Contest mode fan and MEFFA off and on the SmartSDR Settings / Radio Setup / TX Delay 30, instead of 20 and MEFFA on and Standard fan.

Everything seem to be working better after those settings recommendations...

But today I just got a High SWR Detected by Firmware (a different message than before) from the PGXL and I review the Usage Chart from the PGXL software and SWR 1.1:1

Has anyone experience this issues ?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Juan

Try the new firmware and utility released today for the amp.

Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Dave HNY !

Thank you and sure enough I immediately did the PGXL firmware update and it went fast and well, so far so good.

Juan TG9AJR

Answers

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Well, after a couple of days of not using the 6600/PGXL today I tested and made a CQ and immediately I go the HIGH SWR Detected by Firmware (red alert), tried 2-3 times more with the same result. Then on another CQ it nothing OK and not alert...

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Juan,

This is a known bug and there will be an upcoming firmware upgrade for the amp to address the issue. It is in final testing. I cannot speculate the exact release date but soon.

Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Hi Dave, thank you for your answer and some hope for that... fingers crossed that will not take that long... is becoming more often and frustrating.

I just copied N5WS on 6m and called him back and sure enough HIGH SWR Detected by Firmware, now I'm at TX Delay 35 but still, so it's intermittent and was not happening before just until maybe 2 weeks ago.

• David Decoons, wo2x

For now, try increasing TX delay to 50 or 60.

73 & thanks for the Qi’s!

Dave wo2x

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thanks Dave I will keep increasing the TX Delay.

What should be the maximum TX Delay time ?

Happy Holidays 73

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Yesterday I had to go from TX Delay of 50 which was working fine to TX Delay 60.

I hope I don't have to keep increasing the TX Delay time...

• np4zulu
    np4zulu Member ✭✭
    Yeah Juan having the same issues here,, for some reason 3.33 made it worse.. I downgraded to my previous one 3.2.39 and its more stable now but there was for sure something that drove the amplifier crazy on the 3.33 it happenned on both 6600 with two different pgxls
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Hola Felipe, OK understood and thank you for the information.

Is sad to see this "issue" remains a secret mystery, hope we all get a some fix sooner rather than later...

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

It's becoming VERY recurrent and annoying. Not to mentioned nothing officially heard about it. TX Delay keeps going up.

Opening a new ticket with help desk, to see if there is something,

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Juan

Increased TX Delays may not resolve your issue.

There are a few issues here. The first is that the PGXL is very very good at detecting transients that happen in your antenna system, sometimes as fast as 10-20uS. These are events that no other device can detect in the amateur market. This is there to protect the amplifier.

There are also a few other things that may resolve this, such as the latest firmware that is about to be released. And, you may need to get support to look into things on your PGXL and for that you will need to open a support ticket. However, I would wait until next week.

I will mention your issue to our Support Director, N7HQ to see if he has an idea.

73 es HNY

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

HNY Mike and thank you.

OK and sure enough I did open a second time two days ago and still open.

So looking forward for this firmware update.

Hope N7HQ might have an idea about this issue.

TU 73

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Correction: "OK and sure enough I did open a second ticket two days ago and still open."

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

We are on limited staff this week, so it will take some time before they get back to you.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike, in fact Ken NM9P answered but we are going to wait as I'm getting a dummy load (a must that I didn't have) to run some test. So ticket is solved (hold) for now until I get that test done. Also and just in case getting a new coax run "just in case"...

HNY

• Hi Juan,

I had this problem with my 6600 and PGXL. I worked through the problem with Ken via the help desk. After many attempts at adjusting my setup including the fixes suggested above, a return authorization was issued for the PGXL. The problem was confirmed by the repair tech. A defective board was replaced. The new board was said to have solved the problem and the PGXL was returned. I will have an opportunity to test the PGXL when I return to my home station later in January.

I hope you are able to find a solution without returning your unit.

Larry, K4KGG

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thanks Larry, hope your PGXL returns working properly.

Thanks for the information.

HNY 73

• Jeff WB4TT
    Jeff WB4TT Member ✭✭

I am getting the same error PGXL High SWR Detected by Hardware. Please stop Transmission.

This is only happening on 160 band, all others are fine, and I can use the same antenna on other bands (as the SWR is low) or a dummy load and it works fine.

This is only happening on 160 with an antenna, or a dummy load.

73 Jeff WB4TT

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

@Jeff WB4TT then it seems easier and just check your 160m antenna, maybe a loose contact or soldering point. In my case it was one loose feed point of my 6m antenna. I also end up with 30ms TX Delay on the SmartSDR settings, hope it helps, GL.

73 Juan TG9AJR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.