Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sequencer, how to do?

Options

So, lets say you have a PGXL/TGXL or any number of other things, your using FT8 or any of the digital modes. Now you need a sequencer, how would you do that?

Given the PTT signal is provided by the WSJTX software via a USB port to your radio, I can't think of a way to peal off just the PTT signal. Even if you used as old fashioned RS232 now you've lost the audio I guess.

Anyone solve this issue? Had the same problem with an EME setup and had to buy a SSB Electronics very expensive switch to protect the pre amp at the antennas. But, that's not going to work here.

Thanks

Peter

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Peter, the Flex 6000 radios already do the sequencing. There is a TX delay so that whatever is keyed by TX1 - TX3 can settle before the radio sends RF to the antenna port. That prevents hot switching your equipment.

Are you running something special that requires a more complicated sequencing scheme?

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m not using a Flex radio. I’m using Icom radios

Peter

• KD0RC
    Options

Ah, ok. Is there a TX delay parameter that you can set?

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    Options

The max is not quite enough

Peter

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I would like to recommend we pause the online discussion on this please. I don't want the wrong solution floating around just at the moment until we understand the root cause of his issue. There is a lot of detail not included in this discussion.

W2PP has a support ticket open on this regarding his configuration and as part of that, FlexRadio, who does Level 1 support for 4O3A products is in discussion with the manufacturer of the PGXL and the TGXL. We defer to 4O3A for the next level of support as they are the design authority.

We have escalated to 403A for their guidance as they are the designers and we must follow their recommendations.

FlexRadio is the US Distributor of 4O3A products.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

Mike I should have made this more generalized than I did

However with not much effort I’ve identified two incredibly easy solutions

First you can tell WSJTX to use either RTS or the DTS lines from a serial port for PTT Now I don’t yet know if you need a serial card or if a USB to serial adapter will work

secondly, inside WSJTX under advanced settings they have a baked in TX delay I tested and can confirm that by using this TX delay the PTT line is activated but audio does NOT get sent until after the preset delay

nifty and VERY easy solution for those who need more delay The minimum delay BTW is 100 ms

Peter

• Mark - W0QL
    Mark - W0QL Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike or Len,

is this topic still active? I have the same situation and don’t want to buy an expensive external sequencer if I can help it. I am aware of the excellent parameters in the Flexradio 6000 to delay the transmit power at the beginning of a transmission. What I am concerned about is the end of the transmission. Is there a delay by default or a setting that will shut off the transmit RF power BEFORE releasing TX1 to make sure no rf power gets into the external preamp? In other words, does the Flexradio do true 4 step sequencing in the sense that there is a delay coming out of transmit in the reverse order of the delay going into transmit?

Thanks,

Mark - W0QL

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Mark, I am pretty sure that the Flex does not hot switch anything. As far as to how much delay you can dial in at the end of transmission, for CW, the Delay slider will add whatever you want.

I don't know if any of the timings (TX Delay, RCA TX1, etc) are in effect at key up time. One thought is to put a power meter and dummy load in place of your preamp. If keying and unkeying the rig don't put a spike of power on the power meter, then you should be safe.

I am in Broomfield, by the way, so we are practically neighbors!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.