Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Most recommended mic

Ferrell
Ferrell Member ✭✭

Guys I am going broke buying and selling mics and cables trying to find one that people will say sounds good more than one day here and there. I have tried Inrad bases and mics to heil mics. I am looking for a base with PTT cable to go to flex6400. Any recommendation from anybody

thanks

ferrell

N4FRL

Comments

• Ron Miles
    Ron Miles Member ✭✭

I use the Heil base CB-1 PTT Microphone Stand. It needs a PTT cable 3.5mm to RCA Male Jack. Heil PR-781 mic and connecting cable Flex part no. ACC-M-F 3PIN TRS.

I also use the Heil Goldline GM5 with generic base. Connecting cable ACC-4PXLR-TRS for Flex6400.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ron N6PAA

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

@Ron Miles Thanks Ron. I am leaving today for the Lawrenceville StoneMtn Ga hamfestandwill keep my eye open.

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

Has anyone lately used a Inrad Mic Base with or with out a Inrad Mic that worked satisfactory?

Ferrell

N4FRL

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Heil PR-40, and a Heil fist squeeze trigger PTT. I doubt you will go much wrong with that combo….

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have to agree 100% with Mike, the PR-40 and the hand push button PTT on a MIC Boom is an ideal combo, you can add a foot switch in parallel to the hand button PTT to the mix if your into foot switch's.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2022

I used a Koss SB-45 all weekend with great audio reports. For $50 is was good value.

Before you toss all your Mics, make sure you are never overdriving the radio. Your Audio Level meter should be -5db or less if using any EQ.

More importantly, what sort of audio are you trying to achieve?

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW Mike did you get lucky with the TRS's plugs on this headset? I mean were able to use them as is or did uou have to rewire them to plug into the back of the radio.

Ferrell

N4FRL

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I had no issue. I used them on my Maestro and I used a USB set on my PC.

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭

Most any of the Heil and Electro-Voice dynamic microphones should work really well. I had the Heil PR781 and liked it, but like the E-V RE27N/D even better. Of course, I started with all the mic equalization settings at mid-range and adjusted from there. I was fortunate to have a nearby ham with a good "ear" give me feedback on what sounded best (although "best" is a very relative term). Bear in mind that each person's voice and operating preferences will vary greatly.

An expensive microphone is not necessary, as the equalization provided through the SSDR software provides great latitude... can be customized for the individual user. I have heard some "computer" mics that sound great.

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have watched Mike's video on "Microphone Connections and setup" and noticed that he mentions that you can set the microphone settings without going into transmit. It's at the 3 minute 10 second mark in the video.

Anybody know how he does that? I am woking on getting a Yaesu MD-100 working on my 6400.

Thanks for the help,

Brent VA7BNB

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Brent, it is just the mic level that he sets without going into transmit. The TX Equalizer needs to be set while transmitting, not while listening to the monitor.

To enable the mic level meter during receive, go to Settings, Radio Setup..., Phone/CW tab.

To set the TX equalizer for your voice and mic, check out the YouTube videos of Ken Wells, NM9P. He has a great way to set the equalizer using Full Duplex (FDX) and gives you the reasons for doing what he does so that you can tailor his method to your needs (DX, ragchew, etc).

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭

Hello Len,

And Thank You! So easy.

I was watching Ken's video and gleaned a lot. but Mikes comments caught my attention.

...Brent, VA7BNB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.