Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Slice - Can't add 1

K2KXK
K2KXK Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in SmartSDR for Windows

All of a sudden, I have no slices on my 6500. Always run with 3 or 4 active slices. Now I just have a single panadapter and no slice flag. The +RX is greyed out and when right clicking on the panadapter, the "Create Slice" option is greyed out. The current panadapterdoes receive but without a slice, I can't tune or transmit. Running V3.3.32 and have the same results on multiple computers as well as SSDR for ios. Looks like a hardware issue but hoping I can fic it without sending it in. Have tried factory resets with no help. Please see attached image.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Ken, if you have already done a factory reset, it is probably time to submit a help desk ticket.

• AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭

I have the same issue! Just started today. I submitted a help desk ticket today.

• AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭

Here are my screenshots. Very similar.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

Thanks for your suggestion. I had already submitted a ticket and gotten a request for additional information which I supplied. There was an acknowledgement that others had reported this problem but no solution. One of the community members emailed me off-line and said he had the same problem today and tried the same things I had with no success. Then he downgraded from 3.3.32 to 3.3.29 and the radio worked. He then went back to the current version and it was fine. I did the same procedure and it worked! I usually don’t have problems with software or sdrs (I have a Sun and have had an Anan) but I really have no idea why the radio firmware got corrupted. Just glad it is back

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

Kyle, that's exactly what mine looked like. Did you try the procedure I outlined?

• AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭

No I haven't downgraded yet and re-installed 3.3.32. I want to see what Flex support says as didn't 3.3.29 have that corrupted flash issue, or was it another version?

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

Yes, I think it was fixed in 3.3.2 but I ran every prior version and never had the sad card problem. I think the odds of you having the problem for 1 boot cycle are low. Flex support didn’t have a solution as of end of day

• WG4R
    WG4R Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem take place today. When I lost the slices on my 6700, I also lost it on the Maestro and on an iPad, and my total slice lost took place when I shutdown the Maestro B model. I have rebooted the computer both a restart and a total shutdown and no help. I have SDR on two other computers as a backup and it was gone there too. With the +REC grayed out, there aren't many other options. Kyle, please post whatever response you get from the help desk.
    Many thanks!
    /s/ Bill ( de wg4r )
  • K9PAW
    K9PAW Member
    Went to start WSPR run on 160 mtrs tonight and found that I had not slice available. Using Smart SDR 3.3.32 since it's intro. No problems until tonight. Dumped installed 3.3.32 software and installed all new copy of same, no changes. I then looked here and found that others have experienced the same. My screen looks the same as the picture above, +RC greyed out, no data in lower right hand window. not able to run WSJT-X 2.5.4. Have not back installed 3.3.29 as others have claimed solved problem and then reinstalled 3.3.32 and all is well. Waiting to see if a complete understanding of this issue will show up here on the forum. I'm going to sleep and will see what new info appears overnight. 73 all K9PAW
    equipment: 6700, pwr output 1 watt
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Im having the same problem. No slices and no tx profiles, on SmartSDR, SmartSDR ios, and Maestro. Worked yesterday. I reset radio twice and no joy. Radio is 6500, using latest fw 3.3.32

• I'm experiencing the same problem since today: no slices. Radio is 6700 with v2.8.0.
  • Hans DK5JI
    Hans DK5JI Member
    edited September 2022
    I'm experiencing the same problem since today. No slices. Radio is 6700 with v2.8.0. I downgraded to v2.7.6 - no problem! Then upgraded to v2.8.0 again - no problem! And everything is fine again!
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Hello all,

I have the same problem with my 6700 version 2.8.0 no +RX, has anyone got the answer from the help desk,

73 on5po, Janny

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
  • Karl KB2AS
    Karl KB2AS Member ✭✭

I am having the same problem this morning, radio is 6700 running 3.3.32, no slice flag and unable to tune from the computer or Maestro. Worked fine yesterday at about noon when the radio was powered down.

Karl - KB2AS

• Obviously, the solution is to downgrade to an older version and then upgrade again.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

Hmmm, my 6500 now has the same exact problem, worked fine yesterday but no slices today. Did factory reset with no joy. ****!?

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

Looks like all the reports here are on a 6500 or 6700, has anyone had this happen on a 6400 or 6600?

• Karl KB2AS
    Karl KB2AS Member ✭✭

Downgraded to 3.3.29, cycled power and upgraded back to 3.3.32 and all is well.

During the time the radio was off, the computer received a .Net update (KB5017859), not sure if it is relevant, but that was a change made to the computer, operating system is Win 11.

Karl - KB2AS

• WB9IXS
    WB9IXS Member ✭✭

I also had the same issue yesterday. No way could I get a slice to start also no slice on the Maestro. I am running windows 7 and v3.3.32. I called another Flex user and we brain stormed a few ideas but no help so then I downgraded back to v3.2.29 and everything went back to normal. Once I was convinced all was OK I went back to v3.3.32 and again everything was OK. I find it a bit odd that everyone had the same issue within a few hours of each other makes you think we were all hacked hi hi.

After I was sure it was working I sent a private email to Ken K2KXK and he responded that my fix worked for him also. So... now I am telling the group want I did and hopefully it will work for all of you. Dont forget to save your profiles before reloading the software. The rest is simple albeit a little slow.

Jim

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

I just came back to an old version 2.7.6 works, then resume 2.8.0 works perfectly.

73 on5po, Janny

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

Yes, Jim, WB9IXS is the ham I was referring to in my post above. He should get all the credit for finding this fix. Still waiting for Flex Tech Support to respond. Something quite strange is going on for so many users to have the same weird problem on the same day. Thanks again Jim and great job.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

BTW, while the radio is back to normal after the downgrade/upgrade, I can't connect to SmartLink. This may be a coincidence but I doubt it. The SmartLink test just hangs. When I go through the Registration process, it says registered but it doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem?

• Flex 6400 here, presently streaming on line, youtube, search for NJ2US live (ECARS 7255). NO issues at all.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

My IOS ap will also not allow me to add a Slice, so not just PC related.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭

Correct Gary. I had the same problem wit ios and various Windows computers. Definitely a radio problem The downgrade/upgrade procedure seems to have worked for everyone. I have alerted Flex but haven't heard back from them yet.

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

Well Tim has been responding to my HD request. They have had me factory reset the Flex and then check my Win 11 .NET version.

• EA7JQA
    EA7JQA Member ✭✭

I have the same Issue, with a flex 6300, I have donwgraded and upgraded and the issue continues. And I Have another friend with a 6500 with the same problem.

This discussion has been closed.