SmartSDR v3.4.23 and the SmartSDR v3.4.23 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.8.1 and the SmartSDR v2.8.1 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.7.28 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.7.28
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.16 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.16
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Keying Amp Without PTT
Is there a way to use my Acom 1500 amplifier and the Flex 6400M while remote? Amplifier is a tube type so it would look something like this---- I would like the radio to key the amp without using the amp ptt. The amp would be set and tuned to a set frequency so no frequency or band changes would be needed. Basically, I would like to chat with a AM group down in my shop using the laptop and of course the radio and amp are located in the house.
Yes, just hook up your Amplifier normally.
You can disable Amp PTT in your TX Band settings. So that when you go to 80M it is active.0
Will need the amp to key when I click the mox button in the software.
I remember the old CB amps I think were rf sensing to key the amp?0
RCA cable from TX1 on radio to amp PTT in. Check the TX1 box in TX Band Settings table for each band where the amp will operate. Now when the radio goes into TX (MOX, PTT In, etc) TX1 out will key amp.
A few precautionary things.
- set radio maximum power out to the highest drive power you will need on any band. Protects against accidental overdrive of amp.
- have a way to turn amp on & off remotely and operate/standby.
- use a wattmeter that can be accessed remotely to verify power and SWR. Some meters can have the PTT line to amp looped through them to open amp PTT during high SWR conditions.
CB Amps had RF sending keying lines since it was illegal to have an Amp on a CB radio and hence the reason there was no PTT keying line.
What @David Decoons, wo2x says is absolute gold. At minimum I would get an Elecraft W2 watt meter or al LP100 watt meter that can break the PTT keying circuit for key SWR issues.
What you want to do is a bit risky for a remote since you can't touch up the antenna tuning if required on the amplifier.0
Leave a Comment
- 19.8K All Categories
- 177 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 367 The Flea Market
- 6.6K Software
- 5.6K SmartSDR for Windows
- 107 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 269 SmartSDR for Mac
- 210 SmartSDR for iOS
- 200 SmartSDR CAT
- 137 DAX
- 330 SmartSDR API
- 8.1K Radios and Accessories
- 6.6K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 673 Maestro
- 35 FlexControl
- 803 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 550 Genius Products
- 312 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 200 Tuner Genius XL
- 38 Antenna Genius
- 160 Shack Infrastructure
- 105 Networking
- 277 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 108 Contesting
- 418 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 103 Amateur Radio Interests
- 696 Third-Party Software