Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TCP/IP API Control of DAX_IQ Channels

Options
K1FR
K1FR Member ✭✭

Thanks to many past posts found on this Community and lots of experimenting with WireShark, etc., I am getting a Python client to monitor DAX_IQ channels. Still a long way to go before its anything useful, but this is really just for fun and learning.

Anyway, so far I have failed in attempts to change the sample rate of a channel. Most likely missing something, but to get my Python client to work I have to have SmartSDR up and running first with a DAX_IQ channel created in SSDR. My client then creates a DAX_IQ stream via the API and streams it to Port 4996 on my computer's IP. Works OK and what I think is a 48K samples/sec rate.

However, if I try to issue a Cxx|dax iq set 1 1 96 command with the Python client, nothing changes. Still get the UDP packets streamed to my computer but without any change in the sample rate.

Am I heading in the correct direction by starting my client after SSDR is running with an open channel? The API documentation online seems to indicate that an API client cannot create panadapters. If that is correct, is there a way to operate the radio solely via the TCP/IP API?

Thanks for any help!

73, Tom K1FR

Tagged:

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tom, I am afraid that this is over my pay-grade...

I did manage to get a good response code back from the radio using this:

CD26 |dax iq s 1 pan=0x40000000 daxiq_rate=24000 client_handle=0x36A13007 <== I used the handle issued by SmartSDR just to check syntax.

TOTAL SPECULATION (use with care...):

I believe that this command needs to be issued from a GUI client and that DAX needs to be running on that same GUI client. You can't change another GUI client's DAX, only your own.

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Len:

Thanks! Your posts always provide good ideas and help a lot.

The syntax you listed for dax iq set is very different from what is on the Wiki, but it did work for me as well in terms of getting an answer back that the radio accepted it. However, there still was no affect on the sample rate.

After a bit more experimenting here is what I think is going on: regardless of what SSDR has set up for sample rate, as soon as my client (today I was just doing it via a telnet terminal) issues a Cxx|stream create daxiq=1 ip=**** port=yyy command the radio reflects back a good response and starts streaming to my port at 48ksps. For example, in SSDR I set up channel one to be 192K and verified I was seeing that rate on the ethernet line (just watching the Windows Task Manager ethernet plot). Gave a command to stream to my 4996 port and saw the rate immediately drop to a 48ksps rate. And, verified on WireShark that my port was getting the data. So, I did a stream remove 0x20000001 and data to my port stopped as expected. And, the rate immediately went back up to 192K!

I must still be missing something big time. Pretty sure programs like CW Skimmer are able to receive higher data rate DAX IQ streams.

73, Tom K1FR

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Very interesting! I am sure that there is some small thing that needs to be done to make that work. Sounds like you are making progress in your learning process!

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Roger that! Still learning and enjoying. Great thing about the hobby.

I'll continue looking around but am beginning to wonder if the only way to do what I want is via C# and FlexLib. Have not looked at that for a couple of years. C# is not my favorite thing!

Hopefully, N5AC, Steve, or KE5DTO, Eric, may see this and confirm the above or give a hint. 😁

73, Tom K1FR

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Tom, they don't monitor this list at all. If you email me I will share an email address with you that you can leverage.

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike:

Many thanks! Did not realize that. Many old posts I found on the Community had inputs from them. But, those were years ago. Totally understand things have changed in that time.

A good email for me is K1FR@arrl.net.

73, Tom K1FR

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, I now have my client working well and changing the sample rate as desired from 24 to 192 ksps. No, nothing I was able to figure out on my own.

The secret is the v3.x Migration Guide document at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TFmsFOUarZg0LCLfZ9Jf292GpqfLRErib9Oe6WzAT5w/edit#heading=h.12pvw3sysa7x.

Yuri: look for the new dax iq commands on page 7. They work fine.

73, Tom K1FR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.