Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rapid Beeping on 6400

Last night my 6400 started sporadically beeping rapidly, seemingly from a PC speaker inside the 6400 box. The beeping lasts about a minute and then stops. This has happened 3 times so far, 2 last night with SmartSDR shut down and just now with SmartSDR connected and listening to a 40m net. The beeping lasts about 60 seconds and then stops. This does not seem to affect operation, as I can receive as noted above, and checked into a MARS net earlier this morning and was able to copy the digital messages as well. I cannot find any reference to beeping by the 6400 itself, either on the FlexRadio forums or from a general web search. My questions are: 1) what is causing the beeping, and 2) can (should) I do anything about this?

Thanks, Mark, AC3EW

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mark, I would submit a help desk ticket right away.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Mark, is it sending morse code? If so, let us know what your radio is trying to tell the world (big smile).

W7NGA

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

@KD0RC Thanks, Len. I've submitted a help desk ticket.

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

@W7NGA After some in-house jokes about alien messages, if the beeping is Morse Code, it's a series of dits like when someone makes a CW typo (a looooonnnng series of dits).

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

Please disregard. The beeping is from my UPS unit telling me I need to replace its battery, which I am attending to. The behavior is exactly as described on the APC website. My hearing isn't the best (which my Flex radio has helped with greatly in receiving signals) and it sounded like the beeping was coming from the 6400. Thanks everyone for entertaining my befuddled analysis of symptoms.

Mark, AC3EW

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Glad you got it figured out.

I was trying to figure out when we installed a speaker/beeper in the radio (as there is no way for the radio to actually beep).

• Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin

I want to commend Mark on the process he followed with this issue. Mark posted here and asked if any other customer had seen this issue. He then submitted a Helpdesk request and followed up by attaching a sound recording. Then, when he found the cause, he sent a note to disregard the issue to the community and the Helpdesk request.

Frankly, we couldn't ask more from our community and Mark as a customer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.