Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW side tone Flex 6500

Hi all,

I am following the discussions here about CW side tone and sending CW from a local paddle/key over the network. That is because my Flex is now in a different room not far away.

Is this sitetone available only when connecting directly the paddle to the radio (front panel in my case)? Should I also connect the speakers directly to the radio to hear this ? Or I can hear it directly in the SSDR client/Network local PC?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

The side tone is generated on the device that is sending the CW.

When you do CW using the built in WinKeyer, the CW is generated in the radio so the side tone is available on the back of the actual radio. When you plug a Key into the back of the radio, the side tone is also available on the headset/speaker jack.

When you use a Maestro, the CW side tone is available from the WinKeyer Emulator built into the Maestro.

The side tone has to come from the local keyer or the delay would make sending unusable.

I hope that explains how it works.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Val, if you feel like building your own, there is the TeensyMaestro (see the thread on this community). It provides knobs, buttons and a display to control Flex 6000 radios. It also has a built-in keyer with a sidetone. Using the SoftEther VPN, it can be remotely connected and will run CW remotely.

It is not designed to replace SmartSDR, but to work in concert with it. Search GitHub for "TeensyMaestro" and you find user documentation, a bill of materials and the executable code.

No programming is necessary. Building it is just a matter of loading the firmware and connecting the wires to the controls and display. It is not difficult to build, but it is a bit tedious to get all the wires connected.

This device only has a small fraction of the capabilities of a real Maestro, so be sure to understand what it will do before deciding to build one.

If you decide to build it, post your progress on the TeensyMaestro thread.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Yea, bad news for us as well, but 'it is what it is' and we will do what we can to speed it up.

Answers

• W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭

The side tone software is activated thru WinKeyer, in N1MM, the paddle is not in the loop.

73's

Peter

W2JV

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭

Hi Peter

Thank you for your answer. I am talking sending CW directly and not through WinKeyer.

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike.

As I read more it looks I have to "bite the bullet" and buy a Maestro. It would be a solution to my

problem :-)

Nevertheless thanks for clarification.

• Mike-VA3MW

Sadly, we won't have Maestros for about 6 months.

However, the Maestro does give you those great features.

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭

@ Mike Than you for the bad news :-( . Then I have to dig around here in DL and hopefully somenody want to part with his Maestro. What about "previously loved" equipment? It is only available in U.S. ?

@ Len. Thanks for info. I see there are passionate people here. Unfortunately my "building" talent is rather poor. Nevertheless I will follow this thread on Community.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Val, Yes, I completely understand. Building equipment is certainly not for everyone.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.