Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Proper device to FLEX 6600.

ct1drb
ct1drb Member ✭✭
Hello all,

my calls are ct1drb and ok8rb, name is David Quental and my qth is close to Lisbon.
I am just waiting for a new 6600 and of course I have some doubts about it.
I am going to use my 6600 on CW (I am almost 100% CW operator) and for normal QSOs is just a question to connect my paddle to the 6600 in the back side of rig.

However, I am crazy about contests and I have to configure it properly. I use macOS software for contesting, more precisely RUMlogNG and SkookumLogger.

For CAT both of them work pretty well with Flexradio but for CW keying is another story.

I have a SO2R Mini device and I am in doubt if I can use it connected to the 6600, here you have schematic of it:
https://nn1c.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/SO2RMiniSchematic.pdf

As you can see the CW output is made by transistors. The winkeyer has an optically isolated dual solid state relay.

I am looking forward to reading your answers.

Best 73.

CT1DRB/OK8RB
David Quental

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@ct1drb

Today, SO2R contesting is 99% done in Windows. For Mac, you will have a bit of an uphill battle and you are helping to lead that charge.

Normally, with N1MM, the 6600 is all you need as all the features of SO2R are built into the radio. We also have a white paper that is available on our web site on how to set up SO2R with N1MM. I do it remotely all the time.

Answers

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭

SmartSDR has Winkeyer emulation in SmartCAT so no extra keyer is normally needed. No extra hardware for SO2R in 6600.

I am not sure if many Flex users use  RUMlogNG and Skookum Loggers. Let this group know how they work.

Ignacy NO9E

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭
    Hi Ignacy,

tks indeed for your answer.

Well, I know that SmartSDR, for Windows, has Winkeyer emulation, unlike the macOS SmartSDR application.

Then, to use RUMlogNG and SkookumLogger applications with flex radios, with the help of the SmartSDR application, they work with it but using the Kenwood TS-2000 emulation. For CAT it works very good but for CW is another story.

However, I am using a Winkey compatible device and it works well with both softwares, in fact last weekend I was in the ARRL International DX Contest CW and apart minor problems I had a great time.

My main concern about the hardware that I am using, specially the SO2R Mini, the Winkey compatible one, is about safety for the Flex 6600, nothing else.

My best 73 all.

CT1DRB/OK8RB
    David Quental
  • Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭

Perhaps the issue here is the lack of suport for Flex in Mac contesting software. The big question here is whether using the Mac all the way compromises your scores.

When remote, a standard technique with SmartSDR for Mac is using a remote PC via TeamViewer or a similar application. This solves the issue of SSB memories, CW Skimmer, which only runs under Windows, and FRStack, which I consider a must-have app due to implementing frequently needed hotkeys.

Ignacy NO9E

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭
    Hello Ignacy,

tks indeed for your answer.

Well, there is a lack with Flexradio, it is for certain. About my scores there is no compromise at all, as I wrote previously my concerns are protection of my 6600 and eliminate wires on the desk.

Ok, I am wondering to use remote operation with other rig due to lack of 40/80 meters antenna at my qth.

Best 73.

CT1DRB/OK8RB
    David Quental

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.