Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can you block remote users from updating the Flex's firmware?

Options

I have noticed that if I am running an older version of SmartSDR, and connect to the SmartLink radio, I get a message asking if I want to update the radio software version (or maybe it says radio firmware version)

How can I turn that off so only local users can access firmware updates?

(how did this happen? I installed the newer SmartSDR, but that does not remove the old version..and the old version shortcut was still on the desktop...simple mistake)

It is important, because we will have remote clubmembers using it...and I don't want any drama. (or any more drama than usual)

Mike

Answers

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Remote users cannot update the firmware.

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Options

Then why did I get a message asking if I wanted to update my radio? Or is it a poor use of grammar, and they really mean do I want to update the software on my computer?

Mike

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Options

I will chalk that one up to just weirdness...

As a check I reinstalled an older version (but newer than the one that caused the issue to begin with) and it wouldn't even log in...so I can't reproduce it.

I will see, the next time a new SmartSDR comes out.

Thanks,

Mike

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@youbecha What version are you using? I have a 6400M. I have to be local to the radio to update. I also have a friend's 6400. I've always been local to it when updating. As I recall you have to be on the same subnet. You can only update the to the version licensed for the rig. Unless you wanna pay for the most recent.

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Options

The Radio is running the latest 3.2.39 Flex 6500.

The event occurred when I started up the icon for I think 3.1.12...it was logged into SmartLink. When I selected the Flex to connect it popped up a message saying something like 'do you want to upgrade your radio's firmware'

I didn't go any further, because I was certain the radio had the most current.

Once I realized I had both the old and current versions on my laptop, I uninstalled and deleted the older version.

Now I just attempted to install an older version and sign into SmartLink, and it wouldn't connect...so that is good.

But in the future, if we upgrade the Flex firmware again, and someone is running an older SmartSDR...will they get that message? I hope not, I hope it won't let someone go back a version on the firmware without clicking the hand mic or something.

I am pretty sure I was at home...but maybe I am remembering it all wrong...

And if there is no way to remotely update or downgrade the Radios firmware, then I am happy.

Mike

KF5DEY

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

It would fail if you were to try the remote upgrade. You cancelled out before you tried so you did not see the failure. That MAY change in future upgrades, but no guarantee. It is recommended to have a PC local at remote site for maintenance.

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the input...I am trying to keep remote users out of trouble...

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

As was said.

Remote Users can not actually do a software upgrade/downgrade. It will ask, but it will not allow you to do such things.

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to all the responses...I was a bit freaked out when I got the message...but mostly I want to make sure our clubmembers don't get any surprises!

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.