Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MultiFlex/Smartlink questions

Options

Smartlink questions:

What are the limitations of 2 people using a Flex6500? 1 person is the owner and the second person is logging in via Smartlink.

1: Do they both need to be one the same Band to RX? I assume definately on the same Band to TX?

2: It seems who ever is logged into the radio first gets the TX (PTT assertion) Can this be switched by the control operator or is it auto switched during TX?

3: Can each use DAX at the same time to decode FT8 signals? local op using DAX 1 and the Smartlink op using DAX2?

4: Do we need to use separate slices or DAX channels?

5: We are both using the same Global profile set up for FT8 on each Band

We are running into all kinds of inteference problems with each other that we dont yet fully understand so if anyone can shed some light on the use of Smart link/MultiFlex and its "limitations" please advise. So far we CANNOT both decode at the same time.

Remember this is on a 6500 (1 SCU) radio would it be easier with a 6600 (2 scu radio)

Larry K1UO

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1: Do they both need to be one the same Band to RX? I assume definately on the same Band to TX?

No. But....for the one SCU radio, both bands must use the same RX antenna.

2: It seems who ever is logged into the radio first gets the TX (PTT assertion) Can this be switched by the control operator or is it auto switched during TX?

Yes, under the setting tab, multiplex

3: Can each use DAX at the same time to decode FT8 signals? local op using DAX 1 and the Smartlink op using DAX2?

Yes. Each station needs to run its own CAT and DAX, with their client selected.

4: Do we need to use separate slices or DAX channels?

No, each client's slices will be built, owned and controlled from that client.

5: We are both using the same Global profile set up for FT8 on each Band

We are running into all kinds of inteference problems with each other that we dont yet fully understand so if anyone can shed some light on the use of Smart link/MultiFlex and its "limitations" please advise. So far we CANNOT both decode at the same time. 

The most important conflict will be sharing a common antenna for RX. The TX antenna section is not an issue, but sharing a common transmitter is.

Remember this is on a 6500 (1 SCU) radio would it be easier with a 6600 (2 scu radio)

Only if you want to be able to use two separate TX antennas

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I answered this in your FB post as well.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike... This question contains even more questions that the original post on Facebook. Maybe a uTube video is in order? This is the most frustrating exercise in non operation I have exprrienced with Flex... I should add...SO FAR! Can,t even get an answer if both users can use the same slice yet... and if they can does each user need his own DAX channel? because, if that's the case, ...ITS NOT WORKING :)

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Larry

When using multiplex, each client creates its own unique slices. As each slice is built, it uses up resources from the Flex Radio, that are then, no longer available to the other multiplex client.

So....Since you have only one SCU, there is only one RX antenna that must be shared. If either client changes the RX antenna, it changes for both clients.

Since there is only one transmitter, that must be shared. However, each client can select the TX antenna of choice. (see later explanation on how to work with this)

For multiplex, I assume each client is on its own (separate) device (PC, Mac, Maestro, whatever). At each client's operating station, run DAX and CAT on that location's PC. On DAX and on CAT, there is a pulldown client selector. Each client can select either multiplex client, but in your case select the client from which the operator is located.

There are four available slices. As each client opens a slice, one of the four slices will be taken by that client. Each client opens slices until all four are used up. Each client's slice's will be in order, A, B, C and D. However, and this is important, slice A on Client One is NOT slice A on Client Two, and so forth. Each client's slices are unique to that client.

On Each slice, DAX can select one of four channels. When either client uses a DAX channel, that channel is no longer available to the other client. The other client must select oneof the remaining channels. When using WSJT-X at each client position, set up the "Input" Audio to use the DAX channel for the Client's slice channel you set up earlier.

For CAT, all you do is select the client, as mentioned earlier. By doing so the client can control the Flex Transmitter from it Graphical Interface, or its CAT. Since there is only one Transmitter, you cannot both TX at the same time. To "share" the Flex Transmitter with each client's WSJT-X, set up one client's WSJT-X to TX on the even/1st, and the other to TX on the odd/1st. There are checkmarks on the main WSJT-X page for this. For other modes, such as CW and Phone, you need to set up a TX coordination strategy.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Larry

Alan did a great job of explaining MultiFlex and how it works. From your posts though, I can't tell what sort of problem you are having, so it leaves us guessing at what a good answer is.

The basis of MultiFlex is 2 UNIQUE users using the same radio with their own settings. Nothing is really shared other than the antenna. Essentially they do their own thing but they fight over the transmitter and the first one in TX owns the transmitter until they are done.

Each user (Client) has access to the entire HF spectrum from 30khz to 54Mhz. User A can be listening to AM Broadcast and User B could be listening to 6M. No other radio can do this.

There are some best practices. Users should NOT share profiles and they all need to have a unique name.

From CAT and DAX, again, these are UNIQUE to each user. Com port 8 for User A is not the same Com port 8 for User B.

If you think of it as 2 different radios on a desk, that might help. Don't over think it. Again, only the transmitter is shared.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don’t know if you use FRSTACK but it is very helpful for each remote operator know what the other is doing.

Second confusing thing is with SliceMaster that I also love. When the second station logs in, I can see slices from the other user. I just click on the mute button in SliceMaster and the slice disappears from the GUI.

I don’t know how operation changes if you manually setup CAT, but the operation maybe affected by using the same CAT numbers in both locations. Also, using localhost may be ambiguous.

I have seen contention issues when both stations use the same Slice Letter and same DAX number.

Depending on what modes and features you are using, the computer and network resources become critical. I watch Task Manager for CPU, Memory use as well as network bandwidth on both computers. The TX DAX channel is the same on both stations. Thus my underpowered remote laptop can inject noise while the other station is transmitting due to CPU interrupts.

Bottom line, the capability for two location remote is useable while it takes care to properly setup all components of the operation. You will also have to document the functionality to your various operators. Amateurs that have setup remote stations in the past have had to implement a complex physical station. Flex has done those things for us. The Help Deck has been very supportive in my education.

As a strategy I would not permit using Spots nor CW Skimmer that can use a lot of resources until your system is stable. Put a UPS on your network modems and switches. If you want to speed up your investigation at you main location, setup a second position on the local remote. You will be able to solve or define problems quicker as well as having a benchmark. Then I connected my second station to the internet using my iPhone as a hotspot

Bill W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.